Best software for cloning an exisiting install

ConundrumMSU

May 25, 2011
Hey,

Here's my question:

What's the best software out there right now for this: I want to pick up another SSD (the same make/model) and set them up in RAID 0. Just a couple of 64 gig Kingstons. I currently have Windows 7, the latest version of Microsoft Office, and Steam installed on the existing drive.

In switching over to the Raid setup, I'll of course have to format it. What software would be best suited to keeping things as they are now? All the hardware will remain the same.

Thoughts or suggestions? I have a few in mind, but I want to see what other people think would be best, and why.

ConundrumMSU

May 25, 2011
I've used Acronis for both my personal use and at work. Works awesome

That's actually what I was planning on using, but I always like to ask around before I do anything if I have the time. Acronis does a great job. I used Ghost for the longest time before I started using Acronis.

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
I prefer Active@ Disk over Acronis. It has a lot more utilities, easier to use, and a lot better support of devices/os/etc.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Can't you just use the built-in system imaging capabilities of Windows 7? And then do a recovery of the image to the new RAID, using the install disk?

Last edited:

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I've only used Acronis True Image Home, and only on Windows. That said, I find it easy to use, reliable, and affordable.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
I've only used Acronis True Image Home, and only on Windows. That said, I find it easy to use, reliable, and affordable.

This. If you own a Western Digital or Seagate HDD, you can get a copy for free on their website.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Whatever you use, just know that cloning is best done from a bootable media device - not from within Windows. The beauty of Acronis is the creation of Rescue Media, and that it can clone up or down, bigger or smaller. The independent OS (Linux based) provides better GUI, choices, and management than from within Windows.

As I understand your objective, you should clone or backup your existing SSD to an external. When you build the RAID 0 array, you may lose everything on that drive. When the array is built, you then clone to it from the external 3rd drive. That becomes a backup to your array. RAID 0 with SSDs is of questionable value IMHO.

Last edited:

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
Vote for Acronis here. I know people will disagree but I personally find the use of Raid questionable for most home uses. Winds up being more of a hassle than it's worth for most people.

spikespiegal

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2005
Acronis or Paragon.

However, if your goal is to simply clone to a spare disk, and have that disk ready to swap incase your current install goes FUBAR then the Seagate or WD tools work very well for that task.

Can't stand Clonezilla and the open source tools. Too many unpredictable problems with Windows partitions. At worst the Seagate and WD tools work 10000x better and more reliably.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Windows 7 has mirror/cloning capabilities built in it...i have no clue why only one person mentioned this.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Windows 7 has mirror/cloning capabilities built in it...i have no clue why only one person mentioned this.

I don't think it works very well, if at all, between different size drives.

Envian

Sep 1, 2011
www.androidfocus.net
I'd also recommend Acronis, been using it for years now, it works fast and it's hassle free!
You can clone disk to disk or create an image of an existing disk.

Last edited:

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I will also vote for Acronis as it is one the better programs around that will work with Winows XP/Vista/7 .. I still personally use Ghost 2003 but that is on an old XP pc and it won't run on Win 7 .. Nortons newer versions seem to not be as good as the older ones. And I would never trust Microsoft to make a program to backup or clone your operating system that works as well as aftermarket ones.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
acronis easy migrate free 30 day trial. comes with intel ssd retail packs

Paperlantern

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2003
Whatever you use, just know that cloning is best done from a bootable media device - not from within Windows. The beauty of Acronis is the creation of Rescue Media, and that it can clone up or down, bigger or smaller. The independent OS (Linux based) provides better GUI, choices, and management than from within Windows.

As I understand your objective, you should clone or backup your existing SSD to an external. When you build the RAID 0 array, you may lose everything on that drive. When the array is built, you then clone to it from the external 3rd drive. That becomes a backup to your array. RAID 0 with SSDs is of questionable value IMHO.

I tried it with two samsung 64Gig SSD's. It pegged the WMI to 7.9 for the hard disk category on my old ~5/6 year old machine, i know the numbers for the most part are arbitrary, but the machine boots in no time flat and absolutely FLIES when opening programs or files stored on the SSD array. Plus, having a couple virtual machines stored there, its an absolute godsend if you just want to check something quickly because they boot in less than 10 seconds.

RAID 0 SSDs has sped up my machine infinitely, I would whole heartedly recommend it.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Very interesting. Personal experience, or did you read this somewhere?

OK - both. To clarify, Win 7 can clone to a same size or larger drive, but not to a smaller. It will simply say, "Not enough space." Acronis, however, has a proportional mode that will go either way. Cloning to a smaller drive is good as long as the actual data will fit.