Best Smaller Case?

Hardtarget

Jan 15, 2003
www.thebigv.org
I've been thinking about downsizing my computer case for the last few weeks and struggling with what to do. Back when Sandybridge first came out I built a great i7 computer around a Corsair 600T. The computer is still running awesome and i see no need to upgrade but last month we moved and my office is now much smaller.

I'd really love to streamline down into a smaller case but I don't know what to do. I love corsair cases but so far they haven't gone into anything small.

My system is using a regular size asus motherboard with a AMD 6950 (so a relatively long graphics card), 1 SSD, and 2 HDs and a great corsair PSU. I guess I could replace the mobo with a smaller ATX form factor to put into a smaller form factor case but then I'd probably also have to replace the PSU which I'd rather not do.

Are there any small scale full atx desktops around that have some of the cable manage advantages of the 600T? Is this even a thing that is possible?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
You can use a full size ATX power supply in most mATX and even mITX cases that are sufficient for gaming.

Most gaming oriented mITX cases these days are designed to support long cards and ATX PSUs.

Cases are typically a personal choice thing though, and you might want to look at AT reviews to decide what form factor you want, if you want to step down from full ATX.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
You pretty much give up good cable management when you go to a smaller case.

Regardless, check out the Lian Li a05nb. It's one of the smallest full atx cases out there.

Hardtarget

Jan 15, 2003
www.thebigv.org
nice, thanks for the suggestions. I tried looking at the AT reviews but they've mostly been reviewing full size ATX (at least lately) so not a ton of help

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
What do you use your "office" computer for? With that graphics card, sounds like it is a gaming rig.

Depending on which Corsair PSU you are using, there may be a mini ITX case that can fit all your parts along with a corresponding mini ITX motherboard.

How much money are you willing to throw at this size issue? How small will it need to be? I ask because even smaller cases may have a similar footprint if you keep your system on top of your desk.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
If you are able to drop down to mATX, I built my HTPC in a Fractal Define Mini... I was very impressed with the case and it was essentially just as easy to build in as my HAF922. You can take out the middle HDD bay to accommodate pretty much any sized GPU you could imagine.

Dimension-wise, it's about the smallest mATX case I could find (I had a strict set of dimensions I had to accommodate) and still provided a quality case.

There is always the CoolerMaster HAF XB... for something different.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Most MATX cases are not that much smaller. Some cases are shorter or the case may be narrower i.e. Slim. Hard to Quantify Smaller.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119265

Take this case for an example:
HAF XB it is ATX but looks shorter but it is wider and may actually take up more Desk Space. However, it is designed to be moved around and the Motherboard is Horizontal.

A case like this might be nice but the cooling might not be very good. This is what is wrong with most MATX Cases. Not enough Air Flow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163206

You may have to be more specific about the size and orientation.

Last edited:

Entropism

Sep 2, 2002
Lian Li A05. I'm using one now, not much bigger than a mATX case, but for full sized boards.

Emton

Feb 26, 2013
Like the other guy said I think the Temjin is what you want to have. http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=303

I was thinking of getting one but I think I'll go with a mini ITX case cause I want something substantially smaller. But if I wanted a bigger case that has, from what I hear, excellent cooling, I would get the Temjin.

Edit: That Bitfenix prodigy looks cool too

Last edited: