Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
cars.com
carsoup.com
autotrader.com
ebay.com - motors section
other

which do you guys have the best luck? I am going to be selling my 08 135i ... posted on CL, and on a few of the BMW forums I frequent with no bites, so I wanted to get more exposure.

they're pretty unique, apparently only 3 in the US for sale, LOL.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I've sold everything that I have sold privately, using either enthusiast forums or local classifieds. Have had good luck that way. You usually need some persistence for any method though.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
cars.com
carsoup.com
autotrader.com
ebay.com - motors section
other

which do you guys have the best luck? I am going to be selling my 08 135i ... posted on CL, and on a few of the BMW forums I frequent with no bites, so I wanted to get more exposure.

they're pretty unique, apparently only 3 in the US for sale, LOL.

Really? Just looking at model year 2008-2009 on autotrader.com I found 56 135i's for sale within 300 miles of me.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Sold my last car on CL. I was going to run an ad on autotrader but decided to try CL first. Posted it on Thurs and sold it Sunday.

If no one is atleast a bit interested then it's probably priced too high.

Railgun

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2010
I used autotrader and cars.com

And only 3? There are 17 2008 models on cars.com. 150 across all years. They're not THAT rare.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Really? Just looking at model year 2008-2009 on autotrader.com I found 56 135i's for sale within 300 miles of me.

narrow it down ... 6 speed manual, white, M package, sport edition, etc

but yeah, I have used CL/enthusiast forums generally, but I figure I might as well get more exposure via one of these paid services.

How much? 6-speed? My wife would kill me and love me at the same time :p

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/3493527551.html

Recently, the last 4 cars I sold were mostly friends, or friends of family...granted they were sub 10k cars.

Last edited:

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I used autotrader and cars.com

And only 3? There are 17 2008 models on cars.com. 150 across all years. They're not THAT rare.

For certain color combinations it can be. When I was looking there was only 1 white with saddle brown interior in convertible trim in the whole NA.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
For certain color combinations it can be. When I was looking there was only 1 white with saddle brown interior in convertible trim in the whole NA.

Yeah, once you narrow it down to what you want, there is probably only a handful. If you aren't picky, then yeah, you have plenty more to choose from.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
You realize how many permutations there are with options? The same exact thing could be said for *any* vehicle. I'll never understand what motivates people to this line of thinking (ok, yes, they want to think they have something unique).

There are currently 12 different colors for that car. 8 interior colors, 5 interior trim colors, 4 packages, 13 options... You're at 15 million different combinations (12*8*5*4*(2^13)) at this point. Let's pretend that 99% of the configurations are silly. That still leaves you with 150,000 different configurations.

Pretty much all cars are this way other than ones that just have no options.

Your car isn't special, sorry.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
You realize how many permutations there are with options? The same exact thing could be said for *any* vehicle. I'll never understand what motivates people to this line of thinking (ok, yes, they want to think they have something unique).

Your car isn't special, sorry.

I never said it was 'special' but it is unique, in that it isn't a normal DD like a camry/prius/civic/focus/etc

Some people will only buy with certain options on the car (ie sports seats, a certain color, navigation, etc). What motivates people to want those certain options does not matter to you. If you like the base, then get the base, if you want the x, or xx feature, get those features.

@ nutbucket, yeah previous owner put on some miles.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah, once you narrow it down to what you want, there is probably only a handful. If you aren't picky, then yeah, you have plenty more to choose from.

I'm not real picky when looking for used cars. Low mileage and condition are way more important to me than what color it is and what wheels it has or what the badge on the shift lever says. If I go up to 2012 model year that number jumps up to over 100 cars available.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I'm not real picky when looking for used cars. Low mileage and condition are way more important to me than what color it is and what wheels it has or what the badge on the shift lever says. If I go up to 2012 model year that number jumps up to over 100 cars available.

yes, but to other people those things do matter.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

The badge on the shift lever? What are you talking about?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
The badge on the shift lever? What are you talking about?

M package... it comes with different wheels and seats. Oh, and I think the window trim might be different, do they still put that little M badge on the steering wheel and gear shift lever? It's a $1300 option on the 135i.

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I never said it was 'special' but it is unique, in that it isn't a normal DD like a camry/prius/civic/focus/etc

Some people will only buy with certain options on the car (ie sports seats, a certain color, navigation, etc). What motivates people to want those certain options does not matter to you. If you like the base, then get the base, if you want the x, or xx feature, get those features.

@ nutbucket, yeah previous owner put on some miles.
So does that make you 2nd owner?

Also, don't know that I'd pay more for a car with a certain set of options....but I would at least be willing to wait until I could find one with what I wanted and for a decent price.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
M package... it comes with different wheels and seats. Oh, and I think the window trim might be different, do they still put that little M badge on the steering wheel and gear shift lever? It's a $1300 option on the 135i.

Each had had slightly different sport package additions. Mine has the M leather wrapped wheel, M logo'd knob. Sport seats, shadowline trim.

I also have the comfort access, and ipod/usb adapter.

The wheels are Breyton GTS-R's, IMO better looking then what it came with.

KA_800.jpg

So does that make you 2nd owner?

Also, don't know that I'd pay more for a car with a certain set of options....but I would at least be willing to wait until I could find one with what I wanted and for a decent price.

exactly, and I am third owner.

Railgun

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2010

Naturally, though the OP didn`t specify so...

As far as options driving the cost up, it all depends on what those options are. Shadowline trim, maybe, but not a lot. iDrive will easily add several hundred. Color, wheels, trim, etc are irrelevant when it comes to cost. Unless it`s an Individual color combo, which generally comes with a nice extra price tag, they won`t change anything.

And yes, the sport seats are not even a question. The standard seats are horrible, IMHO of course.