• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Best settings for R9 280X?

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Hey guys,

I recently got an XFX R9 280X card, and I've been wondering what some of the best settings are for it. I'm using it hooked up to a 21" monitor via HDMI, and I am still receiving low frames per second in my games. Is this related to my monitor only supporting 60Hz refresh rates? Is there any way to counteract this via settings in Catalyst Control Center?

Any help would be much appreciated!

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Maybe your perception of "low" is unfair? Do you mean compared to other 280X cards, as though something is wrong with your card? or are you comparing your card to the 290X or Titan/780?

Maybe give us more an idea of the details of what you are using to characterize your performance as low, such as your resolution, your game, your frames per second, frequency of the GPU, etc.

For example, maybe you are using an old Pentium I-based computer, where the old CPU is preventing your video card from reaching its full potential. That's known as a CPU bottleneck, because the CPU is strangling your video card.

Or, maybe you wrapped your computer inside a warm blanket to make it look cutesy. So, your computer can't ventilate its heat away, so your video card is throttling itself to prevent overheating, and appears to have low performance.

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
All other things being ok you should be able to run at least 4xAA and 16XAF in most modern games at 1920 x 1080 or similar on fairly high settings.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Maybe your perception of "low" is unfair? Do you mean compared to other 280X cards, as though something is wrong with your card? or are you comparing your card to the 290X or Titan/780?

Maybe give us more an idea of the details of what you are using to characterize your performance as low, such as your resolution, your game, your frames per second, frequency of the GPU, etc.

For example, maybe you are using an old Pentium I-based computer, where the old CPU is preventing your video card from reaching its full potential. That's known as a CPU bottleneck, because the CPU is strangling your video card.

Or, maybe you wrapped your computer inside a warm blanket to make it look cutesy. So, your computer can't ventilate its heat away, so your video card is throttling itself to prevent overheating, and appears to have low performance.
Awww damn, you mean I can't put a bow and blanket on my nice pink Hello Kitty case?!

Honestly though, games like League of Legends is having trouble staying at above 30-45 fps. Even with V-Sync on/off, it doesn't make a difference. So, that's why I was wondering if there were some settings that needed to be changed. I am running at 1920*1080, but for some reason when I am hooked up via HDMI, it says that it's at 1080p.

What exactly do I need to change to improve my frames?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS