Best/Safest way to rekey locks

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
We just bought a house, and all the locks work with one key.

We want to change the locks; but ideally we could just rekey the locks without having to buy 8 new lock sets and replace them all.

Thoughts?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
If you have the time, remove all the key cylinders and take them into a locksmith. It's also not that expensive to have someone come out and do it at your house though.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
If you are happy with the locks installed, removing the cylinders is straightforward. Bring them to a locksmith and let him do it.

The locks in my house were all junk, badly installed, very old and of all differing brands. I didnt want to use 5 separate keys to access one property. I had a locksmith come out and remove everything and reinstalll new, better security deadbolts (and doorknobs where needed). I ended up getting 3 keys for the entire place that he inscribed. Key AA opened all doors and was meant to be a landlord key. Key A1 was first floor tenant key and only opened first floor. Key A2 was second floor tenant's key.

Feb 4, 2009
Boomer is right kwickset locks are stupid easy to rekey. You can keep the one key set up too.
One warning changing the first one is a bitch all the others will take 1/5th the time

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Checked last night and they are kwikset locks. So we'll go that route and see where it takes us.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Checked last night and they are kwikset locks. So we'll go that route and see where it takes us.
They've got to be the SmartKey version to take advantage of re-keying at the consumer level. You can tell if they are by the small rectangular opening adjacent to where you put the key.

I would actually be surprised if the previous owner put them in as they are more expensive than regular locks and most won't spend the extra if they don't intend to rent the place out, have cleaning people in when they aren't home, etc.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I had a locksmith come out and he was able to rekey the 4 entries for under $200. However, being a 20 y/o home, I quickly found that the locks were worn and could use replacing. Spent a maybe $300 and replaced everything with new Kwikset locks.

gururu2

Oct 14, 2007
I have rekeyed lots of schlage and kwikset by using one of my old keys or one of the new keys in a rekeying kit from lowes or home depot. 8 locks or so could take me 3-4 hours and I am no pro. The pins are usually color coded so it is easy to rebuild the cylinders.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
They've got to be the SmartKey version to take advantage of re-keying at the consumer level. You can tell if they are by the small rectangular opening adjacent to where you put the key.

I would actually be surprised if the previous owner put them in as they are more expensive than regular locks and most won't spend the extra if they don't intend to rent the place out, have cleaning people in when they aren't home, etc.

I don't have a picture of them, but they do have the small rectangular hole that they smartkey systems have.

The seller refurbed this home, and part of why we bought it is that he basically used far too many 'higher end' items in the home and eventually went broke AND priced the home out of the market. He had to take a $30k hit on his ask to even get the home to appraise for a mortgage.

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if he used smart keys.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I don't have a picture of them, but they do have the small rectangular hole that they smartkey systems have.
You're all set. There is a kit you can buy with the tool you probe into that opening to make it happen. All you need is the key that works now and the key you wish to switch to. The kit comes with the tool and iirc four new keys.

The process is spelled out in the kit and online. It's very simple. It will take less time to re-key one than it will take to walk to each one.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
You're all set. There is a kit you can buy with the tool you probe into that opening to make it happen. All you need is the key that works now and the key you wish to switch to. The kit comes with the tool and iirc four new keys.

The process is spelled out in the kit and online. It's very simple. It will take less time to re-key one than it will take to walk to each one.

I was surprised how simple it was. Insert key and tool. Turn to half way, pull it out and insert new key. Lock and remove tool and you are done.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
All the 'kwikset keys are easy to hack' vids on youtube are very discouraging.
My dad once told me that all locks do is keep honest people honest.

Don't worry about it unless you think you're a target for whatever reason. And if you are, nothing will keep you safe.

My home has been broken into twice. Both times they kicked the door open. The deadbolt was still sticking out of the door.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I installed something similar to this kit on my front door and also swapped out all the original screws with 3" screws....hopefully it will made the door a bit harder to kick in...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_187356-87807-SET-EZA-23000_1z0yk6h__?productId=3744201&pl=1

that kit came with a 4 foot metal door jamb piece, metal plates that install on two of the 3 hinges and a metal piece that goes on the door where the deadbolts stick out into the frame...

On a typical front door, only about a 1" thick piece of wood in the door jamb keeps the door locked...

SMII_OneInchWood.jpg

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Yeah, that is a good idea. At least I've noticed that deadbolts come with rather long bolts for the striker these days. That gets you into the stud behind the jamb at least.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
I installed something similar to this kit on my front door and also swapped out all the original screws with 3" screws....hopefully it will made the door a bit harder to kick in...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_187356-87807-SET-EZA-23000_1z0yk6h__?productId=3744201&pl=1

that kit came with a 4 foot metal door jamb piece, metal plates that install on two of the 3 hinges and a metal piece that goes on the door where the deadbolts stick out into the frame...

On a typical front door, only about a 1" thick piece of wood in the door jamb keeps the door locked...

SMII_OneInchWood.jpg

Was about to post this. About to change out a bunch of locks (about half are the noted Kwikset Smartkey, half are not, so change out the remaining) this weekend, so will also use some longer screws to at least drill into the stud. At the end of the day, if someone wants in your house, they'll take the path of least resistance.