Best Restaurant Meal you have ever had?

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I believe that there are a number of factors to having a good restaurant meal. Obviously the most important aspect is the quality of the restaurant and the food. You can't have a good restaurant meal without a good meal. However there are many intangibles (psychological factors, if you will) involved with a good meal. Some examples of those intangibles are:

1) The environment you are in: Is the restaurant quiet and boring or is the restaurant busy and bustling? Are you with an interesting group of people? Is the decor exotic? Are you in a different country and are excited to try something new?

2) Your mood at the time: Are you really hungry and could eat anything? Are you too hungry that you "stop" being hungry (if that makes any sense). Are you not very hungry at all? Are you excited about eating where you're eating (see no. 1)?

3) The appearance and presentation and scent of the food: Food has to look good and smell good before it tastes good. The psychology of taste is very interesting. Nothing makes you lose your appetite faster than trying to eat food that does not look good at all. This could be a factor before you even recieve your meal since you can look around and see what everybody else is eating.

4) Moderation: I'm sure you've all experienced a meal that is great the first time you eat it but the same meal at the same restaurant in subsequent visits doesn't quite taste as good. You can't overdo a meal if it's going to continue to be excellent. Like they say, variety is the spice of life.

5) The novelty of the food: A good meal has to walk the line, if you will. If you have no idea what kind of food you're getting, then your brain could be racked with doubt before you even take a single bite, and that can't be good for the overall meal experience. However, if you know what you're getting is something you like, but something else about the food is different, so you also know it's not going to be like the last time you had it (perhaps a different restaurant or a different variation on a general recipe), then you will be excited in tasting what the restaurant has to offer.

For me, the best meal I've had was in a little Mongolian barbeque restaurant called Bali Hai in Durham, NC. You get all the vegetables and all the beef you want to put into your meal, and they grill it with your chosen sauce right there. It's served with rice. I'll have to see if the Mongolian restaurants in my area will be just as good.

I also have to mention a Japanese restaurant I went to in Guangzhou, China. The food was good, but this experience also draws heavily on all the intangibles. It had been awhile since I had Beef Noodles (and usually I just get the Chinese variety) so I ordered some after I had my fill of sushi. This is what they brought me. OMFG, it looked and tasted so good!!

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Pesquera Jaramillo

Absolute best meal ever. My best meals are always seafood. Properly done seafood absolutely makes me happy. The wine was so fvcking good as well, and I was with a really good friend. I had a fish (no idea what it was... I didn't speak Spanish at the time, and I don't remember) in a french creme sauce, and the sides were stellar as well. I think the total meal was only about 75 a person. I've had meals much more expensive that don't even qualify.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
wow your beef noodles look like dogshvt.

try cowboy ribeye medium rare at Ruth's Chris, Porterhouse medium rare at The Palm, and Larwry's Prime Rib which I prefer well done.

Mikey

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80

It actually takes a lot better then it looks, as with the majority of oriental foods.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
So far, my favorite would have to be a breakfast (for dinner!) at a local place called Huddle House.
I get a Western Omelet, Hash Browns "all the way", and 1 biscuit w/ gravy.
The Omelet is the best I've ever had, even better than my own! The Hash browns are cooked to perfection with onions, green pepper, and Cheddar Cheese Mmmmmm!. The biscuit is good and the gravy on it is the best I've ever had!

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
nothing, tops the meal i had in taiwan, not the best, but it was interesting. (i'm sure japan have more like this)

the fish sashimi was prepared on half of the live fish which was still alive and moving on the plate.... i ate two pieces while having the fish staring at me..... i even have a video of it which i post about a few months ago.

Mikey

Golden Member
Jun 16, 2006
The best meal I've ever had was a seafood plate at a restaraunt called Harpoon Henry's down in Dana Point, which is right near Laguna Beach. The plate is called "henry's special" or something, but it had albacore, tuna, rice with this amazing sauce, and some sort of crunchy fried toppings. It's the best $25 that's ever gone down my belly! :)

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Probably one of the meals i've had with my gf over the last four years we've been going out @our local restaurant.

I like either the soup of the day or a chilli mussels starter, the biggest rawest piece of porterhouse steak & prawns for main, and then a few bits of whatever the gf is having for pudding :D

Washed down with a top bottle of red for the main, and a few G&Ts afterwards ;)

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
A friend and I went to Cheese Cake Factory for lunch one day and I got the filet mignon, don't know if it was just because it was for lunch or what but that was a damn good meal.

Though a $50 lunch isn't something I do very often.

OpenThirdEye

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2004
One of the better lunch meals I've had was at TRYST in Adams Morgan. Here's a pic of the "Rosa" sammich: turkey, lettuce, basil-tomato pesto, and brie on toasted rosemary focaccia. Topped off with a blended soy chai! Mmmm...tasty!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: theknight571
Here are my two:

St. Elmo's in Indianapolis.

and ...

Texas de Brazil in Dallas. (Although they have other locations.) (Note...site has music)

Never had a bad meal at either place.

St. Elmo's is pretty damn good. Shrimp cocktail FTW!

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
Chili Crabs at an open air seafood restaurant in East Coast Park in Singapore.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I can't think of a single best restaurant meal that I've ever had. I've had many a good meals.

Some of my favorite places include
Weber Grill Restaurant
Bob Chinn's
Mt Everest Restaurant
Giacomo's of Mt Prospect, IL (no website)

I also ate at about 15 different various French Quarter restaurants in New Orleans about 5 years ago ... some of that food was the best that I'd ever had.

Ohh man, I'm fvcking hungry has hell just thinking about food from any of those places ...
Bob Chinns for the Seafood, Weber Grill Restaurant for the Steak, Giacomo's for Italian, and Everest Restaurant for the best Asian food I've ever had.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: JS80

try cowboy ribeye medium rare at Ruth's Chris, Porterhouse medium rare at The Palm, and Larwry's Prime Rib which I prefer well done.

your entire opinion on meat is completely blown apart because you like prime rib well done...

thats just not normal and completely unneccesary.

also, ive never eaten at Ruth's Chris, they just closed by me.