Best res to play BF2 at on my 22" Acer?

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
I just now got a copy of BF2 and was wondering what you guys feel the best res to play at would be for my monitor? I just got this monitor and can't figure out how to have it play at a res like 1280x1024 and leave the black bars up so I get 1:1 pixel mapping.

Also, with only a gig of RAM I've read I may run into some problems, seeing how this game is a complete resource hog. Any tips on making it run fast on my system? Just idling my computer eats up around 200 megs.

Thanks.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Stay with native resolution is what I recommend and here is how to set your game to w/s res:

Right click on the game shortcut's property and edit the target window with something like this effect:

"C:\Games\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050"

2gb of dram helps out quite a bit too.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: videopho
Stay with native resolution is what I recommend and here is how to set your game to w/s res:

Right click on the game shortcut's property and edit the target window with something like this effect:

"C:\Games\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050"

2gb of dram helps out quite a bit too.

Get rid of the third "

So it looks like this:
"C:\Games\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I black bar the sides with Battlefield, to get better performance and a non-stretched, non-clipped view (BF games clip the horizontal top off the image in wide screen). You can enable 1:1 pixel mapping in the ATI control panel under Digital Panel Properties/ Attributes -> 'use centered timings'.

Your LCD panel may automatically scale 4:3 and 5:4 resolutions though, if so you're screwed more or less.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: mazeroth
I just now got a copy of BF2 and was wondering what you guys feel the best res to play at would be for my monitor? I just got this monitor and can't figure out how to have it play at a res like 1280x1024 and leave the black bars up so I get 1:1 pixel mapping.

Also, with only a gig of RAM I've read I may run into some problems, seeing how this game is a complete resource hog. Any tips on making it run fast on my system? Just idling my computer eats up around 200 megs.

Thanks.

The game is only capable of displaying 4:3 resolutions accurately (no distortion or cropping). So set in-game to 1400x1050 (creating custom driver res first if necessary) and disable scaling for both the driver and panel. If the panel lacks such option then whether it works is dependent upon how it was designed to handle various less than maximum resolutions. If it does not then consider replacing it (best option) or otherwise the viddy card with an Nvidia one which has various driver options to overcome such limitations.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Either stick to the native res, or use the black bars as someone else mentioned.

LCDs used at resolutions other than the native make baby Jesus Cry.

My boss has a Compaq Laptop with a beautiful WS 17" LCD. I believe the native res is something like 1440x900. Yet he runs the thing at bloody 800x600! It looks positively awful. That should be a crime punishable by law.

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Welcome to the wonderful world of EA gaming! Widescreen? What's that?

If you want to play Battlefield 2 (or 2142) online you either play at 4:3 resolution or you take the risk of getting sniped from the rooftops because you can't see the top of the screen.

Me, I'm playing with black bars on the side with the maximum standard resolution. What a waste of hardware!

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
You didn't mention which video card or other hardware specs.

I prefer to run always native resolutions for all my gaming as it will give you the best image quality possible without blurring from non-native resolutions.

Also, I'd stick to 32-player servers if playing online with less than 2GB of system memory.

Skyguy

Oct 7, 2006
BF can't play in true widescreen.........that "workaround" posted above only makes it so the game doesn't crash out. It can't display 1680x1050.....it defaults to its 4:3 and stretches.

Piece of crap BF#$$^#. You'd think EA would have learned by now.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Skyguy
BF can't play in true widescreen.........that "workaround" posted above only makes it so the game doesn't crash out. It can't display 1680x1050.....it defaults to its 4:3 and stretches.

Piece of crap BF#$$^#. You'd think EA would have learned by now.

You are wrong... the game is not stretched, the top horizontal is cut off. The HUD is the only thing stretched. See my image here

Regardless it's an improper method as one needs to move the display to have the correct FOV.

Skyguy

Oct 7, 2006
Ok, 3 questions since it seems like you know what you're doing:

1) I don't see a difference between +fullscreen 1 and +widescreen 1 at 1680x1050 rez. Am I missing something?
2) Does this now work just in BF2042 or does it also work in BF2?
3) Does the vid con settings need to be changed? It defaults to 1280x1024......or just change the app icon properties?

In BF2, I've tried the workaround and it just seems to stretch......I can tell because the compass is oval, not round. Means it's stretching, not using 1680 with a cutoff :(

Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated. THX!

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
1) I don't see a difference between +fullscreen 1 and +widescreen 1 at 1680x1050 rez. Am I missing something?
There is no difference the screenshot was originally made to prove that 'widescreen' wasn't a valid BF switch.

2) Does this now work just in BF2042 or does it also work in BF2?
This works with both BF2142 and BF2

3) Does the vid con settings need to be changed? It defaults to 1280x1024......or just change the app icon properties?
Just change the target text on the icon, no need to change video.con

You also say it's stretched due to the oval map icon. This is part of the 2D HUD, all HUD text and objects are stretched. All 3D elements are normal ratio with the top clipped. Take special note of the church tower in my image.