Best recipe for boneless pork Loin?

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Aside from pulled pork what’s a simple & good recipe for pork loin ? I know it needs to be cooked slowly but what recipe is your favorite?

thanks in advance ❤

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Err do not use tenderloin for pulled pork. That is for tough cuts. I would pan fry sliced medallions or pan sear first then bake whole.

Example

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've gotten mine from Costco, at least that's what I think they are. Came in packages of 4 "roasts" and quite lean, really, and individually sealed in plastic. I just separate them and freeze right in the plastic. When wanted, I thaw one in the fridge for a day or two. I do a few things with them:

1. I cut into chops, separate them with freezer paper, put in bags and freeze, so when I want a pork chop, I remove one from a bag.

2. I make my own pork sausage. I but into pieces and grind in an attachment to my Osterizer blender, add seasonings and extrude with one of those DIY extruders you can see on Youtube. I freeze the extrusions on plates and remove those to plastic bags which I return to the freezer.

3. I make sweet and sour pork sometimes. I keep frozen pineapple in the freezer for that and smoothies and a few other uses.

Lately I haven't seen those pork roasts at Costco, don't know what's up with that. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
There's no best. Simplest is slice it to your preferred thickness and season it with salt and pepper. Then pan fry it to make pork chops. You can brine it before cooking. This will give you really moist pork chops. But you can skip brining and just cook it and it will still be fine. Just remember to cook the meat to 135-140 F and let the cooked chops rest for 5 minutes before eating. If you cook to 160 F+ internal meat temp, you're going to end up with dry and tough pork chops. That's how most people eat and why people don't like pork chops.

Or you can just bake it whole in the oven like a rib roast. Brine if you want the best tasting and moist roast. Salt and pepper and 275-300 F in the oven til internal hit 135-140 F and remove. Let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

Reactions: Captante

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Aside from pulled pork what’s a simple & good recipe for pork loin ? I know it needs to be cooked slowly but what recipe is your favorite?

thanks in advance ❤
depends on how much work you want to get involved with.

A loin roast with veggies is a great family meal.

Using a cleaver, you can turn a loin roast into loin chops.

you can brine it (cure) and make Peameal bacon out of it:

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Pork loin also comes out terrific pan-seared and then slow-cooked in a crock-pot.... just be careful not to go too long or you'll end up with "pulled pork" weather you want it or not!

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
For loin I cook it over the campfire, wrapped in hemplers thick cut uncured bacon and 4 layers of foil.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
It can go right on the gas grille that way too. We just always take one of those loins from Costco with us on the 4th of July, and I cook it over my portable firepit set in the campground's fire pit.
It is a porcelain coated steel washing machine tub, with three legs welded to it. The holes feed the fire, the size of it concentrates the heat up and it contains the sparks and pops nicely. It is a good recycle of an old school washing machine. Better hurry if you want one because the plastic tubs are the common ones now.

Reactions: Captante and ponyo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's a very lean cut so easy to overcook like ponyo said. monitor the temps otherwise you will have dry loin.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
It can go right on the gas grille that way too. We just always take one of those loins from Costco with us on the 4th of July, and I cook it over my portable firepit set in the campground's fire pit.
It is a porcelain coated steel washing machine tub, with three legs welded to it. The holes feed the fire, the size of it concentrates the heat up and it contains the sparks and pops nicely. It is a good recycle of an old school washing machine. Better hurry if you want one because the plastic tubs are the common ones now.
Love this idea of using steel washing machine tub as fire pit. I'm definitely going to do this when my washing machine dies. You can also use old tractor or truck rims with center cut out to make more permanent home fire pit.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
this is very portable for use in the state and federal campgrounds. Because it is light gauge, it will cool off in a few minutes and I dump whatever ashes out of it and away we go. If you are particularly anal, put it in a big garbage bag before you put it in the truck.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
this is very portable for use in the state and federal campgrounds. Because it is light gauge, it will cool off in a few minutes and I dump whatever ashes out of it and away we go. If you are particularly anal, put it in a big garbage bag before you put it in the truck.
I like it. I think it's excellent idea. Like you said, it should be light and portable.

I built Weber Smokey Joe Mini for portable use. I use the Smokey Joe as is if I want to grill. But if I attach the aluminum steamer pot, it turns into a smoker. Here's my build post.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/smoked-a-fatty-smokey-joe-mini-wsm-build.2537643/

1zePr2Fh.jpg

Reactions: skyking

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
It's cooking now. I made some fresh pico de gallo, since I had cilantro and jalapeno pepper. I have burning lips Giggity !

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Thank you all for the tips! My primary goal here is to assist my son in learning basic but good cooking. I want him chopping veggies, reading labels, learning how to prepare a bigger variety of foods. To start, I ordered an inexpensive meat thermometer from Amazon. I think we will begin with a roasted loin, next we will do medallions.

Learning how to cook tasty, healthy meals that are also budget friendly I think is an important life skill for him that will serve him well long after I am gone.

Reactions: Iron Woode