Best quality non gaming LGA 1366 mobo?

Aug 25, 2009
I am about to order parts for my new PC. It will not be used for gaming but for my 3d rendering work.
So SLI and crossfire is not relevant. I will be using two video cards though to fire three screens in total.

What is important for me is that the board uses best quality parts, is stable and very reliable.
Cost of the board is not the primary concern. So which board is absolutely rock solid? I get so many recommendatins that my head is spinning. Should also be able to hold 12GB+ RAM.

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
Most of your gaming boards typically use the best quality parts, are very stable and very reliable. If it's stable and reliable at a 4.0 Ghz OC then its' going to be even that much more so at stock speeds.

I guess you can go with server/workstation boards and use ECC/Registered DIMMS if you wanted even more stability and the ability to upgrade beyond 12 gigs of RAM without resorting to expensive 4-gig sticks.

Aug 25, 2009
Originally posted by: Massive Overkill
Most of your gaming boards typically use the best quality parts, are very stable and very reliable. If it's stable and reliable at a 4.0 Ghz OC then its' going to be even that much more so at stock speeds.

Who is the top dawg? Some people say EVEGA others say ASUS and others say Gigabyte. Who has the best reputation? :D

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
I'm an Asus fan myself, and Asus even makes some nice Server/Workstation boards. EVGA makes some nice Desktop/Gaming boards. I'm not a big Gigabyte fan, but they do make some good boards, just not as plentiful as Asus IMO.

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Dell SB has the asus p6T for $195 after 25% off coupon. The link is posted at slickdeals.net.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Contrary to common belief, there is no difference between a "gaming" and "non-gaming" motherboard.

If not overclocking, very likely all X58 chipset boards will be stable.

Since you are looking for 12GB RAM support, perhaps you would want to research boards that have exceptional memory stability and compatibility as more memory modules means more load on the memory controller.

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
Originally posted by: Zap
Contrary to common belief, there is no difference between a "gaming" and "non-gaming" motherboard.

If not overclocking, very likely all X58 chipset boards will be stable.

Since you are looking for 12GB RAM support, perhaps you would want to research boards that have exceptional memory stability and compatibility as more memory modules means more load on the memory controller.

If you're statement is referring to only X58 chipset boards then I tend to agree. If your statement is referring to boards in general then I have to whole-heartily disagree.

There's a big difference in cheap boards that use electrolytic capacitors and those that use solid ones. The size and quantity of the power regulators, power phase, etc.

Aug 25, 2009
Thanks for confusing me bit more.

I will be buying an i7 920 DO and overclocking it to 3.6ghz on air. I think I will go with EVGA or Asus. Any board that makes overclocking i7 920 DO piece of cake?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would recomend EVGA over Asus from what I know. Especially if you are considering the classified. Very nice board. Also, consider the gigabyte UD4P.

Aug 25, 2009
Originally posted by: ShmeeAlso, consider the gigabyte UD4P.

Isn't GA-EX58-UD5(rev. 1.0) latest and better? UD4P and UD5 are exactly same price here. Which would be better out of the two? The specs seem exactly same.

Does the EasyTune overclocking software acually work? Would make overclocking very easy for someone like me.

Originally posted by: MyLeftNut
How's the UD4P for 12gb memory stability(6 dimms populated)? I just ordered one...

Your right nut would like to know why you picked UD4P over UD5? Do let me know how you feel about the board when it gets to you. Which memory did you go with for that board?
On the mobo tested memory list I hardly see much Corsair stuff.

P.S- Looks like there is a UD5P too???? :eek:

IHaVeBuGInMySouL

Sep 5, 2009
Well, im with Gigabyte EX58-UD3R mobo and i was rly surprised of the power of that thing.Dispite the 3 DIMMS it supports 16GB of DDR3 RAM up to 2100MHZ!.Also supports 2xPCI-Express 2.0 (working at x16,x16).The Cooling of the EX58 Gigabyte motherboards its rly AWSOME!(Ultra Durable 3).So all of the Gigabyte X58 series are rly powerful motherboards.
The UD4P and the UD5P are one of the high-end mobos of the EX58 series from Gigabyte.You dont have noting to worry about.I STRONGLY recommend to use Corsair memory at 1600mhz/or the Dominator family for Gigabyte EX58 mobos.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
if the UD5 is the same price, definitely go for it! I am very happy with mine, I just figured that the UD4P would be cheaper :D I am very happy with my UD5. I think the UD5P was something older, like a prototype board or something. Not sure. Just get the UD5 if it interests you!

MyLeftNut

Jul 22, 2007
I picked the ud4p cuz it was much cheaper than the ud5. The immediate differences are the extra lan port and sata ports. If those are worth the extra cash to you then it's your pick.