Best PSU brands these days?

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I have a Cooler Master 650W PSU that has been going for about 10 years now. I haven't made any upgrades or changes since I got an RX 480 about two years ago. I noticed a few times in Battlefield 1 the computer will shut down instantly, wait a few seconds, then boot. If I run Furmark CPU + GPU it will instantly shut off.

My best guess is the power supply. It has served me well, but I want to replace it. Since I haven't been building computers in awhile, I was wondering who makes the better units?

I would guess Antec, Enermax, Corsair, Seasonic, maybe a few others?

I am currently looking at the following:
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR-650FX-ATX12V-Modular-Compact/dp/B073H33X7R/

Any thoughts, opinions, or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT

Probably should list my specs:

i5-3570k
ASROCK Z75
16GB DDR3
RX 480
e/SATA PCI-e card
Wireless AC PCI-e card
SSD, 4 HDD's, and a Blu Ray

Not very demanding. In the future I will be looking at a Ryzen 2600X or Intel equivalent. I think 650 would be plenty for that as well. 54A at 12V should be plenty, I think?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I am currently looking at the following:
https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR-650FX-ATX12V-Modular-Compact/dp/B073H33X7R/

Any thoughts, opinions, or recommendations?

That's a good choice. You can also take a look at units like Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum, EVGA G3 (and G2 series), Corsair TX-M (updated version), Corsair RMx, or even a unit like the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold.

PSU pricing is pretty volatile, so you can usually catch good units on sale, which puts them at prices near lower rated units. EVGA has also recently released two new series of PSUs with long warranties, but there are no reviews on them yet. Those are the G1+ series and the PQ series.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Now I'm thinking about the Corsair RM650x. It apparently runs fanless until 260W, whereas the Seasonic would be fanless until just short of 200W. I also like Corsair as a brand, even though there is a price premium to pay.

I'm just wondering what other differences between the two there might be? It's about $30 more so I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.

stAbb

Apr 12, 2018
Thunder, don't worry about passive vs active. The active fans rpm is so low that you won't be able to hear them anyways.
I'm using a Corsair RM550x right now. The only thing I don't like are the stiff cables.

If I would get a PSU now I'd get the Seasonic line because it has slightly better performance and the cables might be better, too.

Unless you are going SLI or you need a second 8 pin cpu power connector (which only the Seasonic Gold 750 watt ones has anyway), I wouldn't bother getting a 650/750 Watt power supply.
Only the Seasonic Gold 750 Watt makes sense to me in such a use case.

At the end of the day, get whatever feels right for you. I got a 550 Watt PSU over a 450 Watt one because the Corsair one was on sale.

With kind regards,
stAbb

Last edited:

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
OK, I think I'll go with the Seasonic then. One last question; Can you use an 8 pin PCIe to power a 6 pin GPU?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Go with that Seasonic Focus you linked. It's an excellent unit.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
OK, I think I'll go with the Seasonic then. One last question; Can you use an 8 pin PCIe to power a 6 pin GPU?

Most of the 8-pin power connector's are a breakaway design with a 6-pin and a 2-pin that can be separated. (so yes) :)

stAbb

Apr 12, 2018
According to the spec sheet all PCI-E power connectors are in 6+2 configuration, making it easy to connect them to devices that need a 8 pin or 6 pin connector.

Edit: you are correct daveybrat. :)

With kind regards,
stAbb

Last edited:

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Most of the 8-pin power connector's are a breakaway design with a 6-pin and a 2-pin that can be separated. (so yes) :)

According to the spec sheet all PCI-E power connectors are in 6+2 configuration, making it easy to connect them to devices that need a 8 pin or 6 pin connector.

Edit: you are correct daveybrat, all four are a breakaway design according to the spec sheet.

That's what I thought, but it is nice to know for sure. I think that settles it, I'll go with the Seasonic. Thanks for the advice all!

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Just wondering, but which Corsair series was the one you should avoid?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Not really any reason to "avoid", but their budget line is the CX series.

Even their budget line is still a way better better choice than units from junk brands like Logisys, Sparkle, Coolmax, Deer, Powmax, etc.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Also check out EVGA GS, GQ, G2, G3.

The ones that have bad price/quality. Any Corsair unit in and of itself is perfectly fine, if the price is right. They're not going to damage your components. Of course, features also need to meet your minimum requirements (e.g. do you care about fan noise or modularity). These days, even Corsair CX is fine in my book, since they upgraded the series and extended the warranty to 5 years, and they're still quite cheap. On the other hand, their high end units tend to be quite expensive, e.g. Corsair AX760 and HX750i are outpriced (and even outperformed) by Seasonic Prime Gold/Platinum 750W.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Hmm, I recall reading something about Corsair using a cheap supplier instead of their Seasonic rebadge units for their low end PSUs. I read it on Reddit 3-4 years ago. Maybe my memory is a bit dusty.

I don't plan on building yet and waiting until 2H 2019 provided my Ivy Bridge holds out until then (I've had it since 2012). Looking towards a 750-850 watt Seasonic, Corsair or EVGA unit. I had some bad run-ins with EVGA PSUs but that was in 2006, which means nothing now.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hmm, I recall reading something about Corsair using a cheap supplier instead of their Seasonic rebadge units for their low end PSUs. I read it on Reddit 3-4 years ago. Maybe my memory is a bit dusty.

I don't plan on building yet and waiting until 2H 2019 provided my Ivy Bridge holds out until then (I've had it since 2012). Looking towards a 750-850 watt Seasonic, Corsair or EVGA unit. I had some bad run-ins with EVGA PSUs but that was in 2006, which means nothing now.

Like lehtv mentioned, the CX series has been updated, and now comes with a 5 year warranty instead of 3.

The only mainstream PSU company that makes their own units is Seasonic. The rest; EVGA, Corsiar, Antec, etc, all use OEMs to make them, and then they provide support. They all offer budget units, for Corsair it's their CX lineup, which are made by Channel Well Technology (CWT). For EVGA's budget units (which they have so many different lines now, so I'll just go with the BQ version) are made by HEC.

The best thing to do is whatever PSU you are interested in, is to read a review where they open it up, so you know all the features, the caps used, it's platform/safety, and overall build quality. Honestly, with all the mail in rebates that are offered for power supplies, you shouldn't have any issue getting a good mid-range PSU, with a 7-10 year warranty, and all Japanese caps in the $50 - $70 range. Seasonic routinely has their Focus Plus Gold lineup at very good prices if you don't mind doing a rebate.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Seasonic, Corsair. I'd pass on the EVGA G3. Fan's too loud and comes on aggressively and stays on for a longggggggggggg time. You can do a quick search and see what I mean. I own the 850W model and promptly tossed it into the file server I made in another room and got a Seasonic Prime model to replace it.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Maybe you got a dud or something. I run a 650w G3 24/7 in one of my Folding@Home PCs (with eco mode turned off), and I can't hear it at all.

Maybe that's the difference. With my all my PSUs (EVGA, Seasonic), I run the fan all the time so it always stays at low RPMs. Maybe by the time it heats up, the fan has to go to a high RPM.

With so many cases having a PSU shroud (and forcing people to install their PSUs facing down), that heat has to really build up with the fan turned off. I would rather leave the fan on all the time since they have a 7-10 year warranty. If the fan dies before the warranty is up, I will just get it replaced under warranty. However, I can't ever recall having a PSU fan die on me yet.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Maybe you got a dud or something. I run a 650w G3 24/7 in one of my Folding@Home PCs (with eco mode turned off), and I can't hear it at all.

Maybe that's the difference. With my all my PSUs (EVGA, Seasonic), I run the fan all the time so it always stays at low RPMs. Maybe by the time it heats up, the fan has to go to a high RPM.

With so many cases having a PSU shroud (and forcing people to install their PSUs facing down), that heat has to really build up with the fan turned off. I would rather leave the fan on all the time since they have a 7-10 year warranty. If the fan dies before the warranty is up, I will just get it replaced under warranty. However, I can't ever recall having a PSU fan die on me yet.

Yeah, if you keep Eco mode off, the G3 stays pretty cool and the fan won't come on strong when you're lightly using the PC.

Unfortunately, for me, browsing the web and having the fan on means I can hear it whirring away. I've got Corsair ML120s on everything including the GPU with its Raijintek Morpheus 2. From what I've experienced, Seasonic has a quieter fan.

I guess if you're not as sensitive, it's fine. I should not have been overly negative. Plus, seeing as it is shorter, you could have have an easier time getting the cables in along with your drives if you're using a modern case with the drive cages in the PSU chamber. If you're using something like a Sliger Cerberus like I am, your AIO and drive installation is easier if you're putting your drives on the hinged door as the PSU is not taking up so much room.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Just thought I'd mention I installed the Seasonic on Tuesday. So far, so good. I haven't been able to make it spontaneously reboot. It also burns a bit less power it seems under max load, lower 300W range rather than mid 300's. Probably due to 80+ (before the "metal" categories existed) to 80+ Gold.

It's so much better having a modular PSU. That wasn't the reason for the "upgrade" but it sure is a nice bonus. The included documentation was a little lackluster. There is a "Hybrid Power" button on the back and it makes no mention of this. I figured if it was pressed, it would mean no fan until necessary. Turns out, when pressed, the fan will run regardless of usage; So basically the opposite of what I'd expect.

It's too early to tell, but it may have resolved a weird problem I had where my computer would randomly come out of sleep. It always showed up as a USB device that woke it in Event Viewer, which didn't make any sense. Maybe the old one had something to do with that? I won't know until I've had it a week or so though.

It was a nice purchase for an item that typically doesn't get much discussion. Thanks for the input all!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, the way Seasonic does their hybrid fan on / off is a little odd. On the back of my Prime Ultra, they now include a picture which is easier to understand. However, on my Focus Plus PSU (the one you bought), I don't recall seeing that picture.

In the future, they really should just have a switch back there that says "hybrid fan on" and "hybrid fan off". EVGA's G2 and G3 power supplies use this method. I know Seasonic has had some complaints about how they make it confusing, and they've created a thread for it under their FAQ area on their website, and if I recall correctly, that they taking steps with future products to make it easier to understand.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Just thought I'd mention I installed the Seasonic on Tuesday. So far, so good. I haven't been able to make it spontaneously reboot. It also burns a bit less power it seems under max load, lower 300W range rather than mid 300's. Probably due to 80+ (before the "metal" categories existed) to 80+ Gold.

It's so much better having a modular PSU. That wasn't the reason for the "upgrade" but it sure is a nice bonus. The included documentation was a little lackluster. There is a "Hybrid Power" button on the back and it makes no mention of this. I figured if it was pressed, it would mean no fan until necessary. Turns out, when pressed, the fan will run regardless of usage; So basically the opposite of what I'd expect.

It's too early to tell, but it may have resolved a weird problem I had where my computer would randomly come out of sleep. It always showed up as a USB device that woke it in Event Viewer, which didn't make any sense. Maybe the old one had something to do with that? I won't know until I've had it a week or so though.

It was a nice purchase for an item that typically doesn't get much discussion. Thanks for the input all!

I settled on picking Seasonic PSUs years ago, and over that time discovered that there are also several models of EVGA, XFX, Corsair and "other" brands which are simply rebadged Seasonics.

That being said, for a household of some five desktop tower computers, I've had two Seasonic PSUs go south and begin to die over the last six years -- toward end-of-warranty. These units typically offer a 5-year or longer (even 10-year) warranty. And in addition to the two which went south, two more have simply been DOA.

PSU warranties typically reflect quality. Of the two DOA units, one had a 5-year warranty and the other had a 10-year warranty. This latter was one of the "Titanium PRIME" models -- more or less the top of their line.

Typically, my Titanium PRIMEs cost me ~ $150 each. X-Series Gold are also good. In the last year or so, I notice that Seasonic ships a testing plug replacing the "green wire trick" so you can tell right away whether the unit is functional before completely installing it to a PC.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I settled on picking Seasonic PSUs years ago, and over that time discovered that there are also several models of EVGA, XFX, Corsair and "other" brands which are simply rebadged Seasonics.

That being said, for a household of some five desktop tower computers, I've had two Seasonic PSUs go south and begin to die over the last six years -- toward end-of-warranty. These units typically offer a 5-year or longer (even 10-year) warranty. And in addition to the two which went south, two more have simply been DOA.

PSU warranties typically reflect quality. Of the two DOA units, one had a 5-year warranty and the other had a 10-year warranty. This latter was one of the "Titanium PRIME" models -- more or less the top of their line.

Typically, my Titanium PRIMEs cost me ~ $150 each. X-Series Gold are also good. In the last year or so, I notice that Seasonic ships a testing plug replacing the "green wire trick" so you can tell right away whether the unit is functional before completely installing it to a PC.
How long ago did you purchase the Seasonics? My Prime Titaniums are 12 year warranties.
Nice little database here: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
the CX series has been updated, and now comes with a 5 year warranty instead of 3.
That's good to hear, actually. Considering the $43 ThermalTake (new model) TR2-430 (yep, that model's still around) has a "5-year warranty" as well, they pretty-much almost had to.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Given how inexpensive PSU's are nowadays and how crucial they are to sending power to your mainboard and components, I wouldn't try to low-watt your PSU unit based on price or care for much about how quite it will be if you're already running an RX480... which is power hungry and very audible anyway.

If you're looking for ultimate quite, might as well shell out for the FSP Hydro PTM+ PSU and watercool the rest of your components.

Recommend 650w+ upper tier, and not the low-end PSU models from the reputable manufacturers to try and save a few dollars, it's just not worth your investment of an important rig.
At the end of the day, your PSU is the power regulator to your components, don't go so cheap on it because you want relatively more inexpensive, the match-up just doesn't add up to sense and quality.
And if you're truly concerned about stability and flux, connect the desktop power to a quality UPS backup.