Best PS2 RPG?

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Ordering a gaming guide on amazon to get free shipping. Which is the best RPG for PS2? I am deciding between Dragon Quest 8, FF 12, Rogue Galaxy? I normally don't buy guides but figured what the heck since shipping would be quite a bit anyway.

Mostly choosing between these 3 but feel free to throw out some others if you think they are better. But I've done played most older PS2 RPG's.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
DQ8 was awesome, I highly recommend it. Fun and funny! :thumbsup:

Oct 25, 2006
There are a couple. Xenosaga 2-3 is of course one of the best, and you should try it out. Convoluted yes, but still fun. FFX is also a good place to try out the FF series.

Spydermag68

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2002
FF-X - I really like the story, but the down side I think it was a little too linear. FF-XII has also been good. Not as linear and a lot more to do from the beginning of the game.

vpr

Nov 3, 1999
Xenosaga 2 was a huge letdown from Xenosaga 1... Yea, they updated the graphics, which was nice. However, they changed the music to electric guitar riffs that just killed the mood. They also changed voice-actors on some of the characters, which was not for the better imo. The game was also quite short. Still like it, but still. I haven't played Ep 3 yet, I really want to, but I'm not in the country right now and my PS2 is back at home.

I'd have to nominate Shadow Hearts, and Shadow Hearts: Covenant. SH:C being the better of the two (and also the sequal), but IMO you can forget about Shadow Hearts: From the New World.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
playing DQ VIII right now. A guide would be nice, but not necessary. I just used gamefaqs.com

ALEX wrote a great walkthrough and then there a specialty guides for other areas.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
I would get DQ VIII for now since it is cheaper, and then get FF XII later. I was fortunate enough get FF XII when it was $20 at Amazon a couple of weeks ago, and I am sure they will have something like that again.

Both are sitting on my desk however for the time being. Have to beat FF VI and God of War first.