Question Best practice to migrate both apps and data from an older laptop/PC/OS to a newer one?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Does Windows offer a migration tool, that migrates applications as well as user data? User registry tweaks too?

I know that in the 1990's, Quarterdeck software offered a program called "CleanSweep", that monitored software installation, and could assist in clean un-installs, as well as package up apps and data files into a single archive that could be easily moved between PCs[/i]. Pretty certain that MS pressured them to remove that feature, because it made Windows' app installations as easy as .deb packages in Linux.

I've got a potential client on an older laptop with Win7, and if upgrading that laptop in-place doesn't go well, they may want me to migrate the (business) apps off of that laptop and onto a shiny new Win10 one. They may also not have the original installers or license keys for the programs in question.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I've got a potential client on an older laptop with Win7, and if upgrading that laptop in-place doesn't go well, they may want me to migrate the (business) apps off of that laptop and onto a shiny new Win10 one.

Just some friendly advice, leave the 7 laptop as is, and start over with a new 10 laptop. In-place upgrades from 7 to 10 can result in all sorts of weird issues down the line. Much better to move to a brand new 10 system, if it's for business use.

You don't want to be on the hook for support permanently, unless you're well paid of course.

They may also not have the original installers or license keys for the programs in question.

Key finder perhaps? Tracking down installers for old versions of business software can be a pain in the behind, so they may have to budget for new licences. Another matter is if those licences are even transferable in the first place. That may take a little detective work.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Haven't tried it myself.

==

or commercial one

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Microsoft has a USMT (User State Migration Tool) utility, but it's for large scale migration and is quite complex.