best political music video about war I've seen yet

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
MFL

Thanks OP, I've been watching a lot of user music videos on YouTube lately and I've been really impressed with some of them.

BTW just saw Tool a couple weeks ago in Orlando, probably the best live show I've ever seen.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
How can oversimplifying a long standing religious conflict with christian rhetoric be considered "f'ing brilliant" by any stretch of the imagination?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Platypus
How can oversimplifying a long standing religious conflict with christian rhetoric be considered "f'ing brilliant" by any stretch of the imagination?

You can interpret that song anyway you choose, and that's not how I interpret it. My interpretation of the song doesn't involve religion at all.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Perhaps in fact it's not oversimplifying it at all.

In some ways it's freaking ridiculous how much of the world is still being killed in wars. To think if I lived in any other number of countries I could be at work while my family is getting mortared. It's atrocious.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
That argument really doesn't work when you have obvious christian references all over the entire album. Maynard lost his f*cking mind apparently after his mom died.

"Angels on the sidelines..."
"Father blessed them all with freewill"
References to Eden

Intepret that how you want to I guess.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Perhaps in fact it's not oversimplifying it at all.

In some ways it's freaking ridiculous how much of the world is still being killed in wars. To think if I lived in any other number of countries I could be at work while my family is getting mortared. It's atrocious.

That's exactly why this song is ridiculous, he's calling out all the retarded fighting in the name of religion by using another religion to justify his point. It's hypocritical as hell.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I don't see those as religious references at all. Merely, I see that as MJK painting a picture of outsiders looking down at earth/the human race. Hell you could argue angels is a metaphor for aliens and father is a metaphor for evolution, whatever, that's besides the point.

I see outsiders looking at humans, seeing what they have over animals (reason, opposing thumbs lol), and wondering why they're still acting like animals.

No need for religious inferences.

Maynard lost his f*cking mind apparently after his mom died.

maybe, but he wrote 2 great songs out of it.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
You're certainly entitled to your interpretation of the song, that's the beauty of music but that's a bit of a stretch for me.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
You're certainly entitled to your interpretation of the song, that's the beauty of music but that's a bit of a stretch for me.

indeed. I'll listen to the song later and try to see where you're coming from.

what instrument are you playing nowadays? geetar? bass?

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
I don't see those as religious references at all. Merely, I see that as MJK painting a picture of outsiders looking down at earth/the human race. Hell you could argue angels is a metaphor for aliens and father is a metaphor for evolution, whatever, that's besides the point.

I see outsiders looking at humans, seeing what they have over animals (reason, opposing thumbs lol), and wondering why they're still acting like animals.

No need for religious inferences.

Maynard lost his f*cking mind apparently after his mom died.

maybe, but he wrote 2 great songs out of it.

That's what I got from it as well. My favoriet line is, "Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability, To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here."

I also love Danny's Tabla solo!