Best place to order PC parts

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
So I get hit pretty hard with the 8.25% sales tax from Newegg, ZZF and ClubIT...where's the best non-California place to order parts?

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
infotechnow.com is local to me and very good. They are usually a wash between them and newegg - tax as apposed to shipping.

EDIT: nevermind, you'll still be taxed.

jamesave

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2000
Does the closer proximity of cal to asia, compare to other states, mean lower shipping cost? Especially when most components are made in Asia.

JAH

Mar 4, 2005
Californians still have to declare and pay taxes on their out-of-state purchases (if the retailer hasn't already collect sales tax on behalf of CA) in the 'Use Tax' section when filing tax returns.

Of course this is what you ?have to do? and doesn?t mean you have to do it ;). I don?t know if States can audit retailers to find out if some of their residents are skipping out or not.

To be honest, I used to search everywhere for good online retailer that?s not in CA to avoid sales tax, but then I realized it wasn?t worth it. Shipping times are usually very long if you don?t pay extra for shipping, and when I buy computer parts, I want it ASAP.

When I buy anything from a CA online retailer (I usually either go with NewEgg, ClubIT, or eWiz), it?d received it the next day the vast majority of the time ? even when selecting the cheapest shipping option. So that offset the sales tax charges somewhat?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: jamesave
Does the closer proximity of cal to asia, compare to other states, mean lower shipping cost? Especially when most components are made in Asia.

not really. flown in stuff shouldn't see much difference (all goes through anchorage and memphis anyway). left coast ports have very high labor costs so shipping either goes through the south or mexico.

Apr 17, 2005
tigerdirect?

i always wondered why newegg would be based in cali because they're kind of alienating what could be their biggest market.