Best place to get an eye exam/contacts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Broohaha, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Broohaha

Broohaha Banned

Lucky me, I have astigmatism so I need more expensive contacts than most people. Can anybody suggest and good places to get contacts? Cheapest deals?

Also, what do you prefer, the one set for a full year or the quarterly disposables or the biweekly disposables?

Anybody with experience with contacts that color your eyes?

2. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Diamond Member

I really don't know.

3. Hoober

Hoober Diamond Member

I go to my opthamologist and ask him questions. That's why he went to school for a long time and has all those pieces of paper on his walls.

On a side note I'm glad I started wearing my contacts again.

4. shopbruin

shopbruin Diamond Member

for an exam, you could always go to costco if you don't have vision insurance. or lenscrafters. the costco around here costs $69 for a contact lens exam. they'll give you a trial pair, then you come back to make sure they're fitting.

i buy my lenses from 1800-contacts but vision direct is also a cheap alternative. you must have a prescription from a doctor to buy from 1800contacts.com but vision direct doesn't seem to ask for it... but they do say that they do not provide prescriptions but just refills on your current prescription.

i have biweeklys (throw them out every two weeks). i personally like them better. i only need to buy the one bottle of solution - no protein cleaner necessary - because of the short amount of time i actually wear them. you can do this up to lenses that last a month. the lenses i have, biomedics, costs about 18 bucks for a box, or about six lenses.

as for color contacts, i don't have them, but i heard some bad ones can discolor your eyes.

5. Lola

Lola Guest

i also have an astigmatism, and have the bi-weekly contacts... i think they are the acuvue 2 toric... i asked if they came in colors and they don't (at least they didn't back in october). They may be a little more, but i get 12 contacts in a pack compared to only 6

EDIT: do you have health insurance? you may wanna start looking to see if eye docs are covered. if so, go to one in their network. I would jsut find some place local for the exam. they check 1800contacts.com, etc for deals

6. Broohaha

Broohaha Banned

wow!!! you just saved me $100!! :Q

i used to buy preference torics from walmart and they would charge me 250 for a year's supply. the EXACT same thing is available at 1800contacts for 150! sweet!

thanks a ton. all hail atot.