Best phone available for Verizon?

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
My two year contract is up today with Verizon which qualifies me for a $100 rebate towards a new phone.

My old v60 which has served me well is showing aging signs, plus i accidentally broke the antenna last week.

So...what is the best phone available for Verizon that cost around $200 or less.
I was looking at these phones:

Samsung SCH-a610
Samsung SCH-a530s
Audiovox CDM8900
LG VX6000

Plus, to make things interesting, I'm going to Taiwan on Monday. Are there any cool phones available over there that I can use on Verizon's network here in the US?

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
time to go with tmobile, get yourself a nice tribands GSM phone that you will be able to use in Taiwan. Sony Ericsson T630 sounds about right. ;)

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: DaWhim
time to go with tmobile, get yourself a nice tribands GSM phone that you will be able to use in Taiwan. Sony Ericsson T630 sounds about right. ;)

why the fvck would anyone need a phone that would work in taiwan. thats the LAST place I want a phone to work. Presidents gettin shot and such.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: TallBill

why the fvck would anyone need a phone that would work in taiwan. thats the LAST place I want a phone to work. Presidents gettin shot and such.

rephrase that

why the fvck would anyone want to go to taiwan. thats the LAST place I want to go. Presidents gettin shot and such.

:D (not to mention 500 missles pointed at this island)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Go with the LG VX6000... I think it's still the best phone they have to offer right now.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill

rephrase that

why the fvck would anyone want to go to taiwan. thats the LAST place I want to go. Presidents gettin shot and such.

:D (not to mention 500 missles pointed at this island)

reprahse that

why the fvck am i still posting?

:D (not to mention 500 missles pointed at my head)

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
if you had to get one now...id suggest the vx6000...if you dont mind waiting though...verizon has some pretty neat phones that are being* considered/tested:

motorola v710 - bluetooth, 1.2 megapixel camera w/ flash, 15-sec video capture, expandable memory slot, internal and external color display, plays mp3's (has 32MB memory), speakerphone, 500-name phone book. motorola web page link

lg vx7000 - dual color display, rotating camera w/ flash

lg vx8000 - 1.3 megapixel camera w/ flash, 15-sec video capture, plays mp3's (64 MB flash memory), dual color displays, 499-name phonebook

audiovox cdm-9900 - 15-sec video capture, camera w/ flash, speakerphone, 6.5MB memory

kyocera koi - just announced on phonescoop yesterday, 1.2 megapixel camera w/ flash, video record, 16MB memory, speakerphone.

edit: added kyocera koi

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
i knew about the v710 but, that won't be out for a while now right? And I think the msrp is around $300, a bit more that i wish to pay for a phone.

Any release dates on the other phones?

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: 777php
i knew about the v710 but, that won't be out for a while now right? And I think the msrp is around $300, a bit more that i wish to pay for a phone.

Any release dates on the other phones?
the motorola has a rebate for the 710 that expires july 10th...so speculation is that itll be out before that date.

as far as the other phones, audiovox phone is expected within the next couple months, the vx7000 around summertime, vx8000 before the year ends. but i also heard verizon might skip the vx7000 and go straight to the vx8000. of course, its hard to say, especially since vx6100 was just approved by the FCC 5 days ago.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: anxi80
if you had to get one now...id suggest the vx6000...if you dont mind waiting though...verizon has some pretty neat phones that are being* considered/tested:

motorola v710 - bluetooth, 1.2 megapixel camera w/ flash, 15-sec video capture, expandable memory slot, internal and external color display, plays mp3's (has 32MB memory), speakerphone, 500-name phone book. motorola web page link

lg vx7000 - dual color display, rotating camera w/ flash

lg vx8000 - 1.3 megapixel camera w/ flash, 15-sec video capture, plays mp3's (64 MB flash memory), dual color displays, 499-name phonebook

audiovox cdm-9900 - 15-sec video capture, camera w/ flash, speakerphone, 6.5MB memory

kyocera koi - just announced on phonescoop yesterday, 1.2 megapixel camera w/ flash, video record, 16MB memory, speakerphone.

edit: added kyocera koi

Don't hold your breath for these phones;)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: anxi80
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Don't hold your breath for these phones;)
i know it... but still, we can all hope, right? :)

My guess would be that you won't see the megapixel phones until christmas time. I know that's when Sprint is suppose to launch theirs. I do think the V710 and the VX7000 will be out fairly soon since they're similar to the high end phones that are out now. My guess would be summer for those two.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: 777php
oooh.....rebate? how much is the rebate for? I may just have to wait then.
offer details my bad though, its not a rebate, its a offer for a free bluetooth device for the phone. so yeah, my recommendation is the vx6000, especially since its what, like $79 right now with a rebate? and i agree with what ya said NutBucket about those dates.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: sparkyclarky
Originally posted by: iloveme2
LG sucks big nuts. Don't get an LG phone.

I have a VX6000 and think it's damn good. Mind qualifying your statement?

It only applies to the LG phones Sprint sold. Those all sucked. Can't comment on Verizon's but everyone seems to like the VX4400 and 6000. Then again, everything's relative right?;):p

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
Go with the LG VX6000, majority of the Verizon wireless employees have this phone. It is the best phone and most supported with the get it now technology. Highly reliable, excellent reception when using a different phone while in the same area, volume control is the best I have ever heard.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Originally posted by: sparkyclarky
Originally posted by: iloveme2
LG sucks big nuts. Don't get an LG phone.

I have a VX6000 and think it's damn good. Mind qualifying your statement?

It only applies to the LG phones Sprint sold. Those all sucked. Can't comment on Verizon's but everyone seems to like the VX4400 and 6000. Then again, everything's relative right?;):p

The VX6000 sucked big time when it first came out;)

They had a manufacturing defect where if you jolted it too hard an antennae connection would come loose and you wouldn't be able to get a signal. I went through 3 phones in three weeks before they finally figured out how to fix it. It's fine now though.