best PCI-E None Powered Card?

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I have a older media center PC that is used for gaming too. It had a ATI 850XTX in it but its dying. Problem is this PC can only use a singel slot card and cant use any extra PSU connectors. its a SFF Cube, so no extra connectors and its only a 250 watt PSU. As finding another card used has been touhg, can anybody suggest a card that preforms as well or better that can be purchased new for an OK price?

dflynchimp

Apr 11, 2007
HD 5670, fo shizzle... or if you find a 9800GT, they're about the same performance wise

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Oh boy 250 watts. You want a non powered PCIe card. Fellas are there any cards like this that don't need power and run on only 250watts. Go to Fry's online but your lookin at something really cheap and wont even be able to game with it and will cost you like 20 bucks or 30 bucks.. hmmmmm If there is such card for you it will be sooooo much slower then your x850 soo its a big downgrade. BTW, how do you use the x850 without connecting power to it hmmm... anyone else.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
HD 5670, fo shizzle... or if you find a 9800GT, they're about the same performance wise

I wouldn't throw in a 9800GT on a 250w PSU, and not for an HTPC in a small case.
The HD5670 is the best idea, low power, low heat etc.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Just had to recommend a GT240 for this exact same application. That, or a 9800GT green (important keyword) is your best and only hope. The equivalently performing ATI cards still require a PCIe connector even though they don't need it.

It's a good question re: the X850 though. My X850XT PE had a PCIe plug IIRC and was a dual slot design.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Just had to recommend a GT240 for this exact same application. That, or a 9800GT green (important keyword) is your best and only hope. The equivalently performing ATI cards still require a PCIe connector even though they don't need it.

It's a good question re: the X850 though. My X850XT PE had a PCIe plug IIRC and was a dual slot design.

-Except of course the 5670 (which DOES NOT have a power connector) which also happens to be faster than the GT240 (and probably as fast as the 9800GT Green thanks to its lower clocks).

Really, if ~$80 is within your price bracket, the 5670 is the card to buy.

The whole x850 thing is quite something though... that should really need a power connector...

dflynchimp

Apr 11, 2007
yeah I didn't catch the 250W part of the post, but if that is your envelope and you don't plan to upgrade to a faster psu, then the 5670 is your best option.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Im still trying to figure out how he ran a x800 on a 250 watt psu and no power connection? What is a IIC Im lost. or wait does he have AGP system and used molex to connect his psu to x850 ,,,,I dont know...weird

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Old card, been in that machine a few years and no lable on it. It has no Power conections (the reason I used it in the CUBE), been running strong for roughly 4 years. Actually the real problem is the fan is dying. I have had it apart and oiled it a few times but its to the point where the bearing/sleave is loose enouhg it makes noise all the time, cant run at full speed. So as you can expect, most of todays games that will run, do stress it and I can crash onece and awhile from heat (i believe) as If i turn the graphics down to 90's res's (800X600) then I wont crash. The machine was mine (Media center) but has passed on to a roomate and he is gaming on it (has been for over a year with no complaints). its possilbe its a GTO card, all i know is I think its a 800 series, thouhgt I looked at Device manager and it said 850XTX.

I agree, its to much card for the PSU, but its been going for 4 years.

But as its a SFF CUBE style PC, there is no upgradeing the PCU as its part of the cooling and a strange size. A larger one is the price of a whole new (upgraded) CUBE PC.
this is the unit
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16856140018

I dont know to much about newer cheaper cards (my machines all have cards that require PSU with connectors for cards)

Has to be singel slot, no power connectors. He doenst play in super high res. I see some $20 cards will play Crysis at 17-24 FPS (but with good CPU's) at 1280X1024.. This system is an old AMD single core, so I want a littel more beef to make up for CPU as much as possible.

the old ATI 800 series, has to be something modern that beats it... Price, while I'm just like everybody, want to spend as little as possilbe, its not a HUGE deal , just like to keep it under $100 really (sad i could have an old 4870 for that price).

I thouhgt I had an old 8600 in it at one time without a PSU connector, maybe I'm wrong.

5670-looks like nice option, but all hve to big a heatsink. the PC this will be in has about 1/4inch of extra room past a single slot. the lowest 5670 looks to be at least 1/2 inch taller. And for those wondering how it gets air. the Case has a punched grill on the side where the video card pull air.

GT240- possilby, as i mentioned, price not a huge deal, but $100 is top end, may be my only choice.

3450-price is right have to look at specs.

Last edited:

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Some ATI 3850 cards manage with a thin single-slot cooler. I had one, and worked well as a mid-range(-ish) card with low power draw. Far better than the low-end low-performance 3450.

dflynchimp

Apr 11, 2007
5670-looks like nice option, but all hve to big a heatsink. the PC this will be in has about 1/4inch of extra room past a single slot. the lowest 5670 looks to be at least 1/2 inch taller. And for those wondering how it gets air. the Case has a punched grill on the side where the video card pull air.

GT240- possilby, as i mentioned, price not a huge deal, but $100 is top end, may be my only choice.

3450-price is right have to look at specs.

are you serious? the 5670 heatsink is about as small as standard card HSF's come, and is certainly within his size constraints if he was running a X850.

GT240-costs the same as 5670, but performs about 20% worse across the board. It does use less power, but not nearly enough of a difference to offset the performance penalty

3450-don't even think about it for gaming.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
I would try finding maybe a passively cooled card which should be fine power requirement wise (though they often are dual slot).

For a HTPC you also do not need a high power gfx card.
Integrated might even be fine ...

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
are you serious? the 5670 heatsink is about as small as standard card HSF's come, and is certainly within his size constraints if he was running a X850.

GT240-costs the same as 5670, but performs about 20% worse across the board. It does use less power, but not nearly enough of a difference to offset the performance penalty

3450-don't even think about it for gaming.

all the ones on New egg (i think I looked at them all) have heatsinks that are higher then the end mounting plate. the Card it had looks exaclty like htis sans the psu connector at the back

http://techreport.com/r.x/agp-radeons/radeon-x800xl.jpg

if you put the card flat on the table and look at it from the end, the mounting plate is the tallest part (so its maybe 5/8th inch tall totally)
All the 5670's had heatsinks that where rouhgly 1/4 or higher then the mounting plate. I'm sure thats in singel slot spec, but the machine its going in it just wont work.

the intergrated wont play ST:Online (he is big star trek fan), the old x800 (it appears that is waht it is) will play everything ok, but is dying.... its no longer a MEdia PC, its a do all machine.

once again thanks for all the responces!!!