best pc rpg ever?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
GoG has Darklands? Damn it, they've gotten so much of my money and my life already! How does it play? I've tried to run DosBox on that before and didn't have much success.

Favorite RPG ever would be Planescape: Torment. NWN: HotU was great for experimenting with character builds and fighting epic level battles.

I'm playing The Witcher now, and I'm enjoying the role of passing judgment on those who are greater evils in a morally gray world.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Out of the ones I've played (Knights of the Old Republic I & II, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age II, Alpha Protocol) I'd say Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game out of the bunch, but Alpha Protocol has the best RPG elements out of the bunch. I've got a bunch more RPGs in my video game backlog that I just haven't gotten around to playing (Baldur's Gate I & II, The Witcher, all the Deus Ex games, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
having not played planescape or baldur's gate, et al, I'm going with Fallout 1/2. Then New Vegas, probably. Love KoTOR, too, of course.

I loath the Elder Scrolls games with a passion.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Out of the ones I've played (Knights of the Old Republic I & II, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age II, Alpha Protocol) I'd say Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game out of the bunch, but Alpha Protocol has the best RPG elements out of the bunch. I've got a bunch more RPGs in my video game backlog that I just haven't gotten around to playing (Baldur's Gate I & II, The Witcher, all the Deus Ex games, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines)

the only RPGs in your list are KotOR and DAO.

:colbert:

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
No offense, but how many hours did that take??

There's no hour counter, so it's hard to estimate... but I would say around 50-100 hours for each playthrough (hopefully less). I use a lot of "convenience" cheats so I don't have to do mundane things like grind for gold, or wait for my characters to walk somewhere (I CTRL-J a lot). I've only played through the full BGT trilogy once, and beaten ToB maybe three times. Characters I've played:
Monk
Archer
Ranger/Cleric
Fighter/mage/thief solo
Kensai/mage
Sorcerer
Assassin
Axe Fighter
Wild Mage
FMT again
There might be a few I've forgotten, and I probably haven't finished a full playthrough on all of these characters... but damn, I've spent a lot of time on this game.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I would kill, probably literally, to have PS:T and the BG series redone with modern engines... provided I'm allowed to play them in prison.

I think there was a mod to port BG2 to the Icewind Dale engine (okay, not much more modern, but hey, at least it's updated D&D rules). Don't know what progress is like or what happened to it, though.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I think there was a mod to port BG2 to the Icewind Dale engine (okay, not much more modern, but hey, at least it's updated D&D rules). Don't know what progress is like or what happened to it, though.

There was a mod to convert the items in BG2 to D&D 3.0. I tried it but boy did it suck. One particular example was it turned Gaunts of Ogre Power from granting the wearer 18/00 STR to +1 STR. So while in the original game, if you put them on Viconia, she turned into a total beast, with the modified version, she could now.... Wear armor.

Point was, although 3.5 edition has some really great things, mixing Advanced and 3.0 was possibly the worst idea I can imagine. They don't mesh at all.

As for Modding BG series for current technology, I would be a bit scheptical about doing this. Invariably, the Modder would want to "Make it their own". Considering how poorly movies that are updates of older classics have been totally botched recently, I would have great fear that Minsc would turn into a dark brooding (anti) hero voiced by Justin Bebber with a plucky side kick who was voiced by Eddie Murphy. And Irenicus would be made into this whinny, geeky Eco-terrorist (voiced by Jim Parsons from Big Bang Theory) who's heart was really in the right place, but had just never been hugged enough by his parents.

Last edited:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
This is a great thread and reminded me of how much I loved BG.

"Go for the eyes Boo!".....I can't stop laughing at that one.

So I made the mistake (?)of trading my Baldur's Gate to a friend for Diablo. A good trade for both of us at the time, but I miss Baldur's Gate.

Think I'll go buy the Baldur's Gate Complete Edition at Amazon for $16, but first a question: are there any issues running BG1 and 2 on a Windows 7 64-bit system?

AdamantC

Apr 19, 2011
@rivethead You can get all the Infinity Engine games over on <a href="http://www.gog.com/" target="_blank">http://www.gog.com/</a>.

As for my favorite PCRPG, it is a tie between Morrowind, Deus Ex, and Baldur's Gate 2.

And in all honesty, it's a shame Bioware refuses to cough up the Infinity Engine source code.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

So I made the mistake (?)of trading my Baldur's Gate to a friend for Diablo. A good trade for both of us at the time, but I miss Baldur's Gate.

Think I'll go buy the Baldur's Gate Complete Edition at Amazon for $16, but first a question: are there any issues running BG1 and 2 on a Windows 7 64-bit system?

Not here:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga/

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006

Highly recommend that you get the Tutu conversion for BG (over at pocketplanet.net). It allows you to run BG using the BG2 engine (and solves for several graphics issues you may encounter with more current versions of Windows). It also looks better and allows more choices of classes etc... Only problem I found with it is that it turns the water green. But there is a patch for that as well.

I personally do not have any issues running BG/BG2-ToB (using Tutu) on my windows 7 machine. But I have heard of people who have. In that eventuality, simply run in Compatibility mode (Win XP) and you shouldn't have any issues.

"Jump on my Sword, EVIL. I won't be so Gentle!"

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I want to put an honerable mention in for Mark Leung - Revenge of the Bitch. I mean..its got Ronald McDonald as the Joker and hamburglers!

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I probably could put KotOR on my short list. I forgot about that one until some people posted it.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Shadowbane. But only for those that lived through it. It was like gang warfare with epeens. Picture the crypts and the bloods fighting in a mmo. Waking up at 4 am to go destroy someone's city just because you HATE them that much... No other game has ever come close to the politics of shadowbane. And probably no game ever will simply because the game thrived on making people ragequit. Obviously someone can only quit once...

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Don't get me wrong, I think the ME games are fantastic, but I don't think they belong in best PC RPG ever lists.

They are more like, "Best PC Action game ever."

Yeah. It is unfortunately a kind of a slide:

KoToR 1 - High RPG
Kotor 2 - Little less RP
ME1 - Significantly less RP and slightly Action
ME2 - Way more Action and almost no RP
ME3 - All Action Game (suspected)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
BG2 / PS:T

BG2 is more action, PS:T is much more a thinking man's RPG. both have excellent stories and party interaction.

Lasthitlarry

Feb 24, 2005
Agree with Red Hawk:

Vampire - The Masquerade

Other than that, Fallout is damn awesome, then of course Arcanum...

Hard to think of those classics and then look at what's on the shelves nowadays.

marino.DV

Sep 5, 2011
Neverwinter nights i think is one of the best RPG on PC; although you need to have an epic patience to play it it is worth the effort

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
My vote is probably for Star Control II. Further, I'd say the most fun game of all time for me was XCOM #1 (genre unspecific).

Edit: I certainly forgot to mention Baldur's Gates and Neverwinter Nights. Did anyone else ever play Eric the Unready? That game was hilarious. I'm surprised no one has said any of the Fables? I haven't played them but have heard they're immersive as all get-out. Deus Ex certainly was an awesome setting, which reminds me of Shadowrun, which is certainly a game that doesn't get mentioned very often and was the pre-generator for the whole Matrix genre.

Shadowbane. But only for those that lived through it. It was like gang warfare with epeens. Picture the crypts and the bloods fighting in a mmo. Waking up at 4 am to go destroy someone's city just because you HATE them that much... No other game has ever come close to the politics of shadowbane. And probably no game ever will simply because the game thrived on making people ragequit. Obviously someone can only quit once...

Nice, Shadowbane was awesome for that. UO and then DAoC for fun PvP action. Darkfall, IMHO, was nothing more than a strafe, jump, shoot RPG. Sadly, the gaming community is too carebear now to embrace anything like SB was. I'm hoping TERA can at least have a PvP server that will emulate those sorts of qualities well.

Last edited: