Best PC gaming soundtracks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uRnOdAiSy

Aug 13, 2018
The original MOHAA soundtrack for me! I bought the 10th Anniversary Edition just to get it! I do really enjoy Spearhead soundtrack. Michael Giacchino did incredible work during that period.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Licensed Soundtrack:
Brutal Legend has hands down one of the best licensed soundtracks of all time. Just oodles of incredible heavy metal.

Original Soundtrack:
Arcanum was fantastic with it's very unique Victorian string quartet sound.

Bastion also had an excellent but limited soundtrack.

Ambiance:
Diablo just had one of those soundtracks that you didn't even really noticed until it wasn't there and that oppressive sense of dread goes missing.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
So hard to pick a favorite. I was always partial to Schmerzen but there's a lot of great on there.
MainTheme always stuck with me cause it was the very first introduction, and I sat there with my mouth open listening to it. I also like NorthAfrica a lot. The whole soundtrack is very epic and cinematic. Old Hollywood cinematic. It really added atmosphere to the game :^)

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
MainTheme always stuck with me cause it was the very first introduction, and I sat there with my mouth open listening to it. I also like NorthAfrica a lot. The whole soundtrack is very epic and cinematic. Old Hollywood cinematic. It really added atmosphere to the game :^)

It's so rare to have a great quality single player game these days. Wolfenstein: TNO proved it is still viable. The amount of detail in that game is unreal, and it has a great score as well. Doom 2016 further proved this. It had multiplayer but only as an afterthought. I think too many games focus on multiplayer these days. Look at Youngblood for example.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's so rare to have a great quality single player game these days. Wolfenstein: TNO proved it is still viable. The amount of detail in that game is unreal, and it has a great score as well. Doom 2016 further proved this. It had multiplayer but only as an afterthought. I think too many games focus on multiplayer these days. Look at Youngblood for example.
I've gotten out of gaming. Been running gnu/linux exclusively for years, and I've just occupied myself other ways. I'd love to play some quality sp games with a good story though. Is there any decent sp mod scene for games anymore? RTCW and HalfLife had some awesome mods/extensions, some of which were equal to the original game imo. I loved They Hunger for HalfLife, and there were lots of fun single mission extensions for both games.

I think people got out of it cause it's hard. Takes a lot more work to develop a story along with the 3d geometry. Maybe lack of player interest too? I'm not that interested in mp. *I'd rather chillout to a good story, and get lost in another world for awhile, rather than have a competitive match with other people.

*I did have tons of fun with UT2k4, and would like to get that running again on my system(as well as some old sp games), but that was really the only mp game I was into. Just need to make the time to try to figure it out.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
...I'd love to play some quality sp games with a good story though...

You might want to check out Wolfenstein: TNO. It actually has a story and the amount of detail the put into that game is something I haven't seen since the early 2000's. They went all out to make a great single player experience. Doom 2016 is great fun too, with a lot of fun little things to find and do along the way, but not so much in the way of story.

... Is there any decent sp mod scene for games anymore?...

As far as AAA games the last one I played with a lot of mods was Call of Duty: WaW. Those were mostly zombie mods though. They kept promising to allow mods again in future ones, but I don't think I've ever seen it.

There is an enormous mod community surrounding ARMA. It's made by the same company the made Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis in 2001 I want to say. Even back then it included a powerful mission editor and the mod community has generally stuck with them through ARMA.

Reactions: lxskllr

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Most games are played without music because it somewhat ruins the atmosphere but these games can be played with music:

Quake 2

Painkiller

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Specifically for 'PC gaming', at least for me, the Diablo 2, Command & Conquer (1, 2 and Red Alerts) and DOOM soundtracks are probably the most representative / memorable.