Best OTC medicine to help fall asleep

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Unconvincing troll is unconvincing. You're just as likely to get shit you don't want from the plant as you are to get things you do want, and with herbals being completely unregulated you might be getting chunks of the wrong part of the plant without any way to tell or any recourse.
Gosh, you might have to educate yourself instead of taking big pharma's word for it!
Where would i find this Valerian Tea?
You can find Valerian at your local health food store. You can buy it ready to be made into tea or, you can buy capsules and, sometimes the oil. I prefer the tea. If you make the tea, use hot water not boiling. Talk to the folks at the health food store. Contrary to popular belief, they're not all flakes or nut jobs.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
You'll need:

6 pack of alcoholic beer of your choice
2 Xanax (footballs, not bars)
1 small marijuana joint

Drink 2 beers
Take Xanax
Drink rest of beer
Smoke Joint

You will sleep like a fcuking baby. Note: Do this when you dont have work the next day.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
alcohol is a bad idea. it gives you restless sleep. You might pass out, but you wake up some hours later feeling like you were never asleep.

I think it prevents REM sleep, or something like that.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
you get some lube and get to work.
when you're finished you'll be sleeping like a baby.

no need to drug yourself up

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
alcohol is a bad idea. it gives you restless sleep. You might pass out, but you wake up some hours later feeling like you were never asleep.

Yup. Alcohol sucks if you actually want good sleep.

I've, um, heard marijuana works well.

Allergy medicine knocks me out, but if I take half a dose at 9pm I stay woozy and stupid until the next afternoon, which sucks if I have to work.

Melatonin helps me get to sleep, but usually for only about five hours, after which I'm wide awake and that sucks. YMMV.

I'm not manly enough to chop logs with an axe but regular exercise helps me a lot.

If your sleep schedule is fucked up, don't let yourself sleep at times other than when you should be sleeping. It'll suck at first because you'll be incredibly tired, but if you keep at it, the tiredness plus some sleep aid will eventually get you on schedule.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
2 tylenol PM
1 melatonin (3 meg)

Take that 2 hours before you want to be asleep.

Never fails

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005
Alcohol.

The herbal shit like melatonin is all BOGUS SNAKEOIL BULLSHIT.
All the other stuff's main active ingredient is alcohol.
The other active ingredients in those OTC drugs are weak in comparison.

Just have a few drinks and save the money.

education fail

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I pop a melatonin before I get in the shower and then I usually read for a bit until it kicks in and I start nodding off. It won't necessarily put you to sleep, not how the chemical works, but it does help activate that area in your brain making it easier to achieve this state.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

Two beers will help me get to sleep. Three beers and I am waking up after 5 hours and not getting back to sleep. I don't go to bed drunk if I can help it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Between diphenhydramine and doxylamine succinate, I've found the latter to work better. The standard dose is one pill (don't know the number of milligrams, it's the Equate brand at Wal-Mart) but I usually took two or three. Anyway I found it to work pretty well.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Melatonin + Valerian Root works great for me. Either by themselves are "meh", but both together really seem to knock me out.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Between diphenhydramine and doxylamine succinate, I've found the latter to work better. The standard dose is one pill (don't know the number of milligrams, it's the Equate brand at Wal-Mart) but I usually took two or three. Anyway I found it to work pretty well.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for supporting your fellow Michiganders!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Two beers will help me get to sleep. Three beers and I am waking up after 5 hours and not getting back to sleep. I don't go to bed drunk if I can help it.

yeah, it's mostly a problem when you consume too much.

sometimes, though, beer can get me all wired.

win puts me to sleep quicker.

also, weed is a whole other thing. who freaking knows? can leave one with some weird-ass dreams or none at all.