Best options for a one time use (3 days) hotspot?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I help run a convention and the wifi access at the hotel is really spotty. We have a bunch of tablets and PC's at our registration area that we use to get people registered that need web access to function.

I don't really have a concept of data use and don't really want to turn it into a free for all data hose for everyone so the ability to lock it down would be helpful. The data is almost entirely just transactional stuff. Filling out and submitting forms. I'm not pumping video or large images.

Carrier is not a big deal. All of the major carriers have good coverage there. I was pulling down almost 40MB/s on T-Mobile. Verizon and Sprint LTE are also available as is AT&T.

I also run this on a shoestring budget so price is of importance too.

I was looking at Karma.
https://yourkarma.com/

They have a "refuel" option where you can get 5 gigs of data for $50, and each person that connects to you gets 100 meg to use, and you get 100 meg of data. The hotspot is $150 outright to buy so I'm looking at $150 + $50 with a really inexpensive way to reload it as needed. If we let guests hook up to it then we get a boatload of data to roll over for other functions.

But no clue on how long they stay in business. Maybe we buy it this year and next year they are defunct and it's $150 in useless hardware.

Other options are:

- freedom pop (not sure I really care for reviews of their plan)

- I've got a T-Mobile phone that I can get one of those Walmart 5 gig plans for $30 and pay the $15 hotspot charge to use it. I don't know how many devices a cellular hotspot will support though.

- I've got a verizon extra phone that I could add for a month to my wife's data plan for $15 and then just pay the data overages (roll the dice there)

Anything else I'm missing? I've got a Project Fi phone but I'll need it on me over the weekend.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you have a rooted Android device, you can just tether with that device.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
you should look at your convention contract

a lot of hotels force you (via contract) to pay for their exorbitant (and slow/spotty) wifi/ethernet connection, instead of operating your own wifi hotspot

that saying, the karma hotspot has a limit of 8 devices... how many devices are you expecting to connect to it

(more = needs more complicated solution)