Question Best option to access internet from my room?

Kledgie

Jun 21, 2016
Hey guys. I need your help. I am renting a room in a home and want to use my desktop. Unfortunately the gateway is pretty far so I can't run a cable. What is the best option for a strong connection?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
You could get an ax210 WiFi card and put better antennas on it or you could get your own internet through T-Mobile or VZW and use their 5G gateway in a window.

For $50/mo and not risking your data on their network seems like the better idea.

Reactions: Kledgie

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I would tend to agree with Tech Junky and get your own service through a 5G access point (unless you are related to the people in the home you are renting the room from). Without control of that network, you are subject to data snooping and potential identity theft.

Kledgie

Jun 21, 2016
Thanks a lot guys! I am related to them, yes. I should have mentioned that. So I think i'll just go with the ax210 WiFi card and get the better antennas. Which brand should I go with? Can you link?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Brand doesn't really matter as much as the dbi rating and line of sight. If you're using them on a desktop you might want something with a 3-6 foot cable and a base to get above any obstructions. Trendnet has a base on Amazon for ~$20 that works alright. Then just add a couple of antennas to it for $5-$10.

For the dbi lower is a broader reception cone and a higher rating narrows the cone for distance. In most cases a 3-5 dbi is what you want for indoor reception.

Reactions: Kledgie

aktp34

Dec 15, 2022
Thanks a lot guys! I am related to them, yes. I should have mentioned that. So I think i'll just go with the ax210 WiFi card and get the better antennas. Which brand should I go with? Can you link?
Instead brand go with the Antenna specification. Try to get one with better range.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
First of all how many people are in the house hold, and what kind of bandwidth do you require / does the house provide?

If your in a house with other people your age, then 2-3 people on netflix will wreck your speed if the house is cheaping it with 200/15 which is pretty much basic Spectrum.

Maybe getting your own dedicated spectrum line installed to the room might be a better viable option / solution?
If you request it, they can run a coax from the original location on a splitter to your room and do the install internally so you don't get wrecked on them drilling holes in the walls.
They can run the wire under the door to get it into the room and the corner of the ceiling.

Option 2.
Pay a professional to run a wire.
Look on criglist or on yelp and hire someone to run a dedicated cat6 wire.
If your going to be staying for 1 year or longer, you'll probably want to go this route.
Ask for permission, from landlord before you do, and make sure you get permission.
But a white cable for example on white walls do not stick out too much, and can be done very cleanly if run down the door frame and under the door without drilling holes in the walls.

Option 3.
The dedicated 5g is another solution, but its one area where i have to say YMMV to the ^10 power.
Meaning fog, a bird flying over, or a tree blocking line of sight in tower, or even location in general.
And i have a T-mobile 5G and i sort of hate it, but at the moment, stuck on it as there is no other viable solution.

Also i would not recommend sharing your ISP with anyone unless its your family.
There is too many things that can go wrong especially not being able to have control of firewall profiles, unless you yourself is a not a power user, and just looking for basic internet access, which then im sure you can set your network to private on your PC, and block just about anything from snooping.
But it will limit your network heavily.