Best open source/free photoshop clone?

Mar 15, 2003
Looking for something for an intern, so I'd like it to be as close to photoshop's UI as possible to keep it simple - I've used gimp and that's fine, but wondering if there's a newer/better alternative.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Not that I'm aware of. Gimp is Gimp. It doesn't try to clone PS, but it's a powerful package. They have a unified window option now which some people seem to like. When I first used Gimp, I thought I wanted a unified window, but after getting used to the floating toolboxes, I don't want to go back. I tried it unified briefly, and just set it back to the way it was. It's more flexible that way.

Edit:
Paint.NET is a good package. Not as powerful as Gimp or PS, but it does a lot. If your needs align with it's features, it might be a good fit.

Last edited:

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
GIMP is the best free option. If you need to to try and look like photoshop maybe try looking into Gimpshop?

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Paint.net is OK but its not Photoshop. I also tend to combine it with inkscape which using the vectors I can achieve some of the effects I want but don't get in paint.net, but with the extra hassle of going via rendering to a file.

Photoshop is one of those tools that if you utilise it well is still worth buying.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Platform?

On OS X, Seashore is good for some simpler jobs. If you want more than that, I suspect Gimp is the only game in town. I personally really disliked the bunch-of-windows UI when I tried to use Gimp before, that unified window stuff sounds good.

Haven't used Photoshop after version 5, but that was already awesome enough, I'm not even sure what extra features I'd want to have. Certainly not the DRM stuff Adobe has added since.

I wonder if you could buy a cheap license for one of the older PS versions?

country2

May 1, 2001
Pirate Bay is also full of "free" software. Adobe clearly says those installation packages are offered for users who have a license; they are not free.

I'm using it also on W8 64 bit. The way I see it although they say " serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products." Way I see it is abandoneware as its no longer supported and outdated and doesn't even activate. Heck they may even gain future sales by allowing people who didn't purchase to use...

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I'm using it also on W8 64 bit. The way I see it although they say " serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products." Way I see it is abandoneware as its no longer supported and outdated and doesn't even activate. Heck they may even gain future sales by allowing people who didn't purchase to use...

You can see it however you want, but wishing something was free doesn't automatically make it so.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
Pirate Bay is also full of "free" software. Adobe clearly says those installation packages are offered for users who have a license; they are not free.

Is it Adobe Vintage store?

What if Microsoft will make a page with Win95 or Win98 download and serial numbers and will say: "Well, it's not free, it's for those who have Win95/Win98 license....

BUY IT AGAIN...WE NEED MONEY !!!

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008

What if Microsoft will make a page with Win95 or Win98 download and serial numbers and will say: "Well, it's not free, it's for those who have Win95/Win98 license....

Dunno what makes this so hard for you to understand. They are not selling that software. They do not want to sell that software. As far as they are concerned, it's obsolete. But because they actually give a shit about providing good customer service, they want to provide those packages for people who have licenses but have managed to lose physical media. Doing it this way costs them less than handling cases on one-by-one basis and shipping some physical CDs.

If you want to buy Photoshop, you have to buy the new version. Or one of the previous versions from a vendor that still has them.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001

Understanding is hard...