Best online photo gallery/archiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2003
Baby will be here soon so I have to think about long-term online photo storage (in as close to original quality as possible without being downsampled). I signed up for a smugmug trial but think it may be overkill.. Suggestions? Unlimited uploads necessary and fees are ok.

Thanks!

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Picasa Web Albums with extra storage should do it for you. An extra 20GB for Picasa is $5/year, so it's pretty cheap and probably okay for what you want... I seriously doubt you'll be uploading more than 20GB in a year. If you do though you could go for the 80GB upgrade for $20.

Mar 15, 2003
Picasa Web Albums with extra storage should do it for you. An extra 20GB for Picasa is $5/year, so it's pretty cheap and probably okay for what you want... I seriously doubt you'll be uploading more than 20GB in a year. If you do though you could go for the 80GB upgrade for $20.

Doesn't picasa resize to 1600x1200? I'd like to keep my 10 megapixel images in tact for printouts and such.

Thanks!

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
why not just get an offsite backup solution. Leave them in whatever you use iPhoto/picasa, then they are automatically backed up. I use backblaze and everything is backed up automatically.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
why not just get an offsite backup solution. Leave them in whatever you use iPhoto/picasa, then they are automatically backed up. I use backblaze and everything is backed up automatically.

That got me thinking... what about Dropbox? It's $10/month for 50GB and it'll let you upload full resolution. You could just upload the pictures to a shared folder and you'd be good to go.

EDIT: Maybe look at Flickr Pro too? link

Last edited:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I went with Picasa for a while, but it wasn't enough space. I fill up my 16gb card every month or so, the 10-12mp pics take up a ton of space.

I finally just registered a domain name with godaddy and built my own website with a 2TB E-SATA drive. Now I can link all the pictures to it (and even have a video section). I still have to convert down for the previews so some people with slow connections can actually load them, but I link to the full size too if family members want the HQ versions to print out.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
That got me thinking... what about Dropbox? It's $10/month for 50GB and it'll let you upload full resolution. You could just upload the pictures to a shared folder and you'd be good to go.

EDIT: Maybe look at Flickr Pro too? link

Backblaze and other backup services are around $50/year. Unless you need to share via dropbox, I don't see the advantage.

I used smugmug in the same way as the OP but after a year of trying to manage my local library and my smugmug library, I decided it was too much. That is why I went with backblaze. Now if I want to share something, I just upload it to Picasa from my local library. Everything is backed up and I don't have to worry about it.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
I'd love a feature-rich front end I could install on my own server. Free, of course :)

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Wal-mart has online storage for images. Plus, its tied in with their photolabs.

When you want the images printed out, just select the pictures, send them to your local wal-mart photolab, pick 1 hour printing, and go pick them up.

Mar 15, 2003

edIT- read that wrong, googled blackblaze. very interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.