Best online homebrewing store

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
The nearest homebrewing store to me is about an hour drive each way, so I was looking for a good site to buy ingredients from online. Some of the ones I have seen have been pretty shady, to say the least. I need my beer fix!

<---Relaxing and having a homebrew :beer::D

wedi42

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
i don't know they are the best online, but they are 1 mile from my house and have always been helpful in person.
northernbrewer.com

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
This is a topic that I am interested in, as well. Anyone have a link to a good source for background info?

PhilsPhan

Jul 10, 2003
I am not sure where you are located but I am in the philly area and we have a ton of great homebrew supply stores. My favorite also actually has a website and although it doesn't look very professional the guy who runs it is awesome! In fact he is the writer for Pennsylvania's homebrew newspaper (mid-atlantic division). That store is Home Sweet Homebrew. Before I found the stores I actually ordered a number of items from a company who's site is Northern Brewer when they sent me a wrong item (once) they let me keep it and fedexed the correct one no charge. I also like the site for the forums' recipes. I am in the 5th month of making my first mead and just started a chocolate stout over the weekend. Hope this helps Cheers!

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Semi-related... and bare with me, I know very little about this stuff... Anyways...

My Barber makes Grappa.

Wow.

At first when I tried it, it went down like a smooth cognac. It tasted similiar to Hennessey. 3 years old if I remember. Hand siphoned from a dark barrel (I'm not sure what kind of wood) about the size of a large watermelon.

He gave it out at his shop during a Christmas Eve party. Well after about three, I was pretty buzzed. I decided to ask him the proof.

It turns out it was 180, and went down like 80.

It tasted great, we all got wasted, the end.

I will also add that it was a very clean feeling type of intoxication. Not heavy etc. Very comfortable.

artikk

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2004
Originally posted by: rdubbz420
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
is it cheaper to make your own beer?:beer:

Initial cost was about $150 or so, plus $25-$30 per 5 gallons.

hhm....sounds interesting.

It might be cheaper to make your own beer but it would take time and lots of hard work to set it up and get the brewing machines to work.:)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: russianpower

It might be cheaper to make your own beer but it would take time and lots of hard work to set it up and get the brewing machines to work.:)

It basically amounts to boiling ingredients and then letting it sit for awhile.

artikk

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2004

It basically amounts to boiling ingredients and then letting it sit for awhile.

:thumbsup::) got it.:D

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004

hhmmm....ATOT or make beer, no offense but I think I would rather make beer.

Jan 18, 2001
in general, i think most HBS are pretty reputable.

there are 3 things to ask:

1. Any grains should not be milled anymore than 3 days prior to brewing. Preferrably, you want to mill your malts the day of the brewing, 1 day in advance is okay.
2. Have the hops been refridgerated, and how old are they. Pellets are the way to go at all times.
3. How old, and well care for (i.e., kept cold) are the liquid yeasts . Dry yeasts don't really matter.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Grrr... I ordered from Midwest and it took 9 days to get here, plus they forgot to pack my yeast :|