• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Best NV Upgrade From SLed 8800GT 512MBs?

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I've asked this within other 8800GT threads and never gotten a decent answer, so now I'll make it a free-standing query.

For the rig in my sig, the video setup seems pretty good for most games, but the memory limits are forcing either disabling AA or running at lower rez (i.e. 1680 instead of 1920) and parts of new titles like BFBC2 can get chuggy under fire.

I had contemplated replacing the SLIed 8800s with a GTX 275 last fall, but everything I saw indicated it'd be a wash as far as performance, so I held off. Now that the Fermis are out, how much of an improvement would a GTX 470/480 bring to the party? The Tom's HW comparison charts don't include the latest cards, so I can't get a read as to how much a performance jump I'd get from an upgrade. Is it worth buying one - I'm not in the mood to spend $700 for SLI especially as my PC gaming is declining in the face of DRM strangulation and a desire to spend time playing than troubleshooting buggy apps - of these cards or should I hang on for the next round? Thanks.

BTW, an ATI card isn't an option for me because I also use apps that leverage Cuda and I like having PhysX available. Yes, they're the bang for buck winner at the moment, but c'est la whatever.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
It's C'est la vie :p

Honestly, just check Anand's review on the GTX470/GTX480. Since you said a GTX275 isn't much of an improvement over your 8800GT SLI, check the improvements of a GTX470/480 over a GTX275.

It looks like the GTX470 is about 33-50% faster than the GTX275, and the GTX480 is about 20% faster than that.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
If someone is using "c'est la" in their writing, they probably know the third word is "vie" so if they don't, it's for a reason. :p

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Ben - The link is missing the images for me. EDIT: I had to log in to see images.

The new Adobe CS5 suite will have a bunch of CUDA optimizations and video encoding will benefit. Mostly Tesla and Quadro workstation cards will supported at first, but it's supposed to spread downline.

Even if I go to a single 470, I'll probably keep the third 8800GT in place for PhysX. I was gonna put in an old 8800GTS 320MB but that was a two-space card and the power supply on the bottom of my case precludes its use.

Last edited:

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not that it will be a problem for you, but a general heads up you are going to have to 'hack' some files on CS5 to get it to work on non 285s(you need to alter a Cuda supporting list to support the vid card you are using, but nothing you won't be able to handle). On an official basis only the 285 has support but you can already get around it now with the other GTX parts(I'm assuming the same workaround will already work for the 470 too but I don't no anyone who has CS5 and a 470).

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
I'd either get the 480 or wait for its refresh depending on how much longer you can hold out.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Wait for the GTX 460 to come out in a month or two. (June as late as July) It should be $300 or less which could give you the option of SLI later on. Then you can still use one of your 8800GT's as a dedicated PhysX card and then have the other 8800GT as a backup.

The GTX 275 was always more like a horizontal grade since it doesn't support DX11.

BTW I also have a 8800GT SLI setup so this is what I am planning on possibly doing.

Last edited:

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
If I get a 470/480, I'd leave the BFG 8800GT in the box and then put the current PNY SLI setup back in the old rig it came from and leave it at my g/f's place for her dad to play with. Otherwise, it'd just have the 8800GTS by itself and that'd be sorta lame.

I'm kinda leaning toward wait-and-see since for the most part, the current setup is more than enough for 95% of what I'm playing. The 8800GT SLI has to be one of the best bang-for-buck combos I've ever had, having run it for over two years and not even wanting to upgrade until now, if then. As someone whose has gone from TNT>TNT2>GeForce DDR>GeForce 2>GeForce 3 Ti>GeForce 4>5800>6800>7800>7900 SLI>8800GTS>8800GT SLI only to yawn at the GF9s and GTX 2xx cards says something, partially about how good the 8800GT was and about how nVidia's been treading a little water and PC gaming has turned crappy in the past few years.

ASK THE COMMUNITY