Best new AGP card for Photoshop use ?

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
My radeon 9700 Pro is failing after 5 years of service. I use to do gaming, but now I DO NOT do any gaming. I will put together a brand new rig next spring, but I need to replace my AGP card. now Looking on new egg and willing to spend around $100.

I'd like to try a Nvidia based card. I think the most important thing is enough stream unit/pipes etc to push all of that Photoshop data through. (I'm not too up on the latest Video card technology terms-its been a while.) I'd rather have a fatter pipe than gobs of video ram I don't need. I'd like at least 256mb of memory.

Its all running on a ABIT IC7-G with 2 GB Ram and a P4 2.4Gz CPU.

Please suggest. I looked on newegg and found about 30 cards...but not sure where to start.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
PhotoShop does not use streams, shaders, etc.it's a 2D application even when making an image that looks 3D. Those are only needed for real-time 3D gaming.

The only reasons you need any 3D power at all:
- other applications that might use 3D
- Vista aero glass

So something like a fanless nv 6200 for $35-40 should be fine.

PNY, 4-star - newegg
XFX - 4-star - newegg

... or a radeon 2400 to stick with ATI
radeonewegg

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
PhotoShop does not use streams, shaders, etc.it's a 2D application even when making an image that looks 3D. Those are only needed for real-time 3D gaming.

The only reasons you need any 3D power at all:
- other applications that might use 3D
- Vista aero glass

So something like a fanless nv 6200 for $35-40 should be fine.

PNY, 4-star - newegg
XFX - 4-star - newegg

Will I notice a speed difference when photoshop processes a photo image (maybe lots of masks/layers) if I have card that is 64 Bit memory bandwidth, or 128 bit, or 256 bit? Does this only matter for gaming? Should I look at GPU clock speed more than memory bandwidth?

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
Not true. Photoshop CS4 makes extensive usage of the GPU!

That being said it's brand new and I doubt the OP has it, considering he's limping along on an AGP rig still.

So, any kind of basic GPU will be fine. Just don't get one of those lame TurboCache / HyperMemory cards that steals system RAM a-la integrated graphics...

Will I notice a speed difference when photoshop processes a photo image (maybe lots of masks/layers) if I have card that is 64 Bit memory bandwidth, or 128 bit, or 256 bit? Does this only matter for gaming? Should I look at GPU clock speed more than memory bandwidth?

Nope. You won't :)

~MiSfit

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
So does PSP use the P4 CPU for processing of layers, masks, etc and my system RAM? Not really using the VRAM or Vram Memory interface on the Geforce card?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Right. according to the Adobe page I read after themisfit610's post, even PS CS4 apparently only uses video card 3D for the user interface like the displayed image scaling, not the resize operation.

CS3 uses the video card as a dumb frame buffer, no different from a video card made in 1998.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
cs3 doesn't use the graphics card only when dealing with 3d objects so yes, it uses system ram and the cpu

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
Right, and CS4 uses the GPU to draw the UI, which is VERY nice. Zooming, panning etc are all vastly smoother and more fluid. It's a huge difference!

Also, I think a couple filters use the GPU, but that's not so important.

Also, CS4 is the first version of Photoshop (along with its companion, Lightroom 2) to be 64 bit! Finally I can fill up all 8GB of my RAM with a single process!

~MiSfit

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
If you want improved performance in Photoshop, here's what to get.

X2 4850e $57
Biostar TA780G $59AR
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2-800 $45
PCP&C 370W PSU $35AR

Total: $196AR + shipping (probably <$10)

If you're running a 5+ year old system this will completely run circles around your current setup. You'll be amazed by the improvement in performance. And it will probably consume less power while doing it so you'll save money over the long term as well.

One final note: if you haven't replaced your hard drive in 5 years I would do so now. The WD6400AAKS is a fantastic drive, very cool & quiet, full 5 year warranty, and a bargain at 640GB for $75.