Best multiple OS USB installer ever - Ventoy!

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Super easy and amazing installer and much better than YUMI mutiboot. Windows/Linux/ESXi, etc. You name it!

screen_bios2.png

Run Windows install and let it format your USB flash drive. Then just copy iso/img etc. files onto the flash drive.

The ISO/IMG files can be in any folder your created and Ventoy will search the drive and automatically ceated a menu.

You then choose which OS you want to install.

Last edited:
Reactions: colin.p and Shmee
Jul 27, 2020
I love everything about it. Just one question: why is there a Chinese site linked at the bottom????

Is it putting some malware on top of whatever we boot and then it communicates over network to share whatever it thinks is sensitive info?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Apparently the main developer is a Chinese.

It's open source.
https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy

You can view the code & compile it. You can also use a firewall to monitor/log/block traffic.

What's bad is its goverenment. Most Chinese don't work for the government, however.

By the way, 90% computers are made in China, should people stop buying computers?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Be your own judge.

There are some discussions.
Virus in Ventoy? - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums

False positve alert happens all the time.
There are many tools from NirSoft being identified as virus/malware as well.

I'll start at home first.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Be your own judge.

There are some discussions.
Virus in Ventoy? - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums

False positve alert happens all the time.
There are many tools from NirSoft being identified as virus/malware as well.

I'll start at home first.

That is true.

However, they should state on their product page that this might happen and explain why.

As an Example - Nirsoft does it - https://www.nirsoft.net/false_positive_report.html

:cool:

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
This looks really neat, thanks! I will have to check it out. If it works well, I may replace YUMI with it on my main multiboot flashdrive. The described ease of drag and drop the .ISOs reminds me of the Zalman USB external SSD enclosure I have which has a virtual optical drive emulator.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I tried it, and tested booting a few ISOs. So far it really is quite good. A few notes:
-it is nice to have the main data partition have the option of being exFAT or NTFS or EXT4 etc, and not just FAT32
-the installer and ease of adding ISOs is great, and the menu is pretty intuitive
-a downside, at least when I tested it, memtest86+ v5.01 would not boot, so I am guessing it can only use UEFI compatible images or something? Maybe because memtest86+ is legacy only, and I booted in UEFI mode?
-I have tested a few images, including memtest86 v9.4, memtest86+ v5.01, Windows 10 version 21H2, Partedmagic from January 2022, Acronis 2019. The only other issue I found was that Acronis 2019 would not boot properly, it would go to shell with an error, I am guessing due to needing a newer version for my hardware with a Ryzen 5000.