Best Movie Endings Ever--and yes, spoilers

calpha

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Well, to neff some more, I'm starting a best movie endings ever. These are not for your favorite movies per say, but for the best endings :)

Again, since I have no memory, the first two that popped in my mind are:

Usual Suspects: Great Great Ending. One of my favorite movies too. But never could catch the clues that are supposed to be there with Verbal that he was Kaiser. I've watched it 3 times

Fight Club: COULD have been a great ending if they hadn't ended with teh stuff blowing up. Wish they could have put the movies resolution more in line with the fact that he was both characters, and both characters fighting one another, but not over the gay explosion of the CC Buildings.

pamchenko

Golden Member
Nov 28, 1999
life is beautiful, nothing made me happier than knowing that roberto benigni died and that his son did not have to put with his father's idiocy anymore

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

<<

Fight Club: COULD have been a great ending if they hadn't ended with teh stuff blowing up. Wish they could have put the movies resolution more in line with the fact that he was both characters, and both characters fighting one another, but not over the gay explosion of the CC Buildings.
>>

This is where Fincher changed the ending Palanuik had for the book.
By the way, what was so happy about the explosion?

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
First off, is there really any reason to give away the ending, this can be done without spoilers.

Best Endings:

Requiem for a Dream
Usual Suspects
Memento
Fight Club
Shawshank Redemption
Psycho
Heat
Magnolia

...others that I'll reply with later probably.

InfectedMushroom

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001

<<

<<

>>

This is where Fincher changed the ending Palanuik had for the book.
By the way, what was so happy about the explosion?
>>

the explosion of the cc buildings is supposed to wipe everyone's credit history so that everyone starts back from scratch and can have some free will in deciding what to do the rest of their lifes. so i guess that's why it was so happy.

Comp625

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Remember that back in 1982 when the movie was released, we didn't have the internet. Only tabloids would publish spoilers and many tabloids published that Spock would die. Then in the Opening Scene of the movie, Spock did die - only to wake up moments later. All throughout the movie, it was hinted that either Spock or Kirk would die. Eg: Spock's initial "fake death" in the mock battle bridge. Kirk saying to Spock "Aren't you suppose to be dead?" Spock and Kirk's conversation about "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one." Kirk facing a No-Win situation (first hinted in the Kobyashi Maru test). Then Kirk actually faces a No-Win situation. The Warp Core is damaged and with Khan setting the Genesis torpedo detonator on explode.

A few minutes before the Genesis Torpedo detonates, Spock leaves his chair only to go down to Engineering. Kirk knows he won't make it without a miracle happening. He asks Sulu how much time left before the Torpedo detonates. After receiving a reply from the helmsman, he mumbles to himself, "We aren't going to make it, are we?" Powerful music erupts and we see Spock hastely climb down a Jeffries Tube, run through the hallway, goes into Engineering. McCoy tries to stop him but Spock puts the Vulcan Nerve Pinch on the Southern Doctor.

Spock steals Scotty's work gloves and enters the see-through chamber. He opens up the lid of the Warp Core and Scotty is yelling, "Noo noo get out of there!" Spock reaches his hands inside the warp tube. Moments later, radiation levels return back to normal. Kirk orders the Enterprise to go to Warp. He yells to himself, "Good job Mr.Scotty!" After leaving the vicinity of the explosion, Kirk is relieved only to look to his right seeing his Science Officer, and best friend is missing. The intercom goes online and you hear the voice of McCoy saying, "Jim...I think you better...get down here right away."

Kirk runs down to Engineering and sees a mutant Spock trying to find his way in the chamber. Kirk runs towards the chamber only to be stopped by Scotty and McCoy. You hear Scotty say in retaliation to Kirk's attempt at opening the chamber, "You'll flood the whole compartment." Moments later, Scotty mumbles, "He's dead already." Kirk is astonished at what happen, observing Captain Spock's awkward movements. Spock tugs on his uniform and walks towards Kirk. The Vulcan walks right into the glass wall seperating the 2 men.

Spock slowly trembling down to his knees asks Kirk, "Ship....out of danger?" Kirk says "You saved us all." Spock says "The needs of the many..." Kirk finishes Spock's line by going "outweigh the needs of the few...or the one." A few moments later, Spock says "You shall always be my best friend" and closes his eyes. Kirk ready to explode into tears mumbles "noo..oo".

At the funeral, you see a disheartened crew standing alongside Spock's burial torpedo tube ready to be launched into space and onto the Genesis planet. In Kirk's memorial speech he states, "he was the most...human..." His lips tremble with sadness and fear. It seemed like he had lost a family member - the soulmate that he known for over 15 years. After his torpedo tube lands on Genesis, we hear Leonard Nimoy's voice in the background repeat Kirk's famous "Space The Final Frontier" speech.

Critics always hammer on William Shatner's acting ability. The memorial scene really proved his critics wrong. Overall, the ending to this movie really gave you a sense of joy and sadness mixed into 1 bundle. The joy being that Kirk and the Enterprise was going to live on while Spock died being the sad part. Viewers at the theaters cried during Spock's death and the memorial. Once leaving the theater, they really didn't know whether to feel happy or sad about the ending. It was still by far, the best movie ending that I (personally) have ever seen despite the movie being almost 20 years old.