Best motherboard for XP overclock?

CLiu

Aug 29, 2000
I am thinking about upgrading my duron600 (overclocked to 800) to AMD's XP. What motherboard should I get if I want to overclock? URL on this type of info would be helpful too.

Thanks for any info,

cpliu

ToXiCRaGE

Aug 26, 2000
I think that any new mobo that you will pick will be a good overclocking device. The question is if all of them are similarily stable. Then also comes in the price. But if money is non of ur concern then go with ASUS. ASUS would be my 1st pick, then MSI then Abit (but thats only my taste and opinion) - just go on the asus page and do some reading.

diejex

Mar 1, 2001
CLiu - it's pointless to ask such an open ended question. Everyone here has different opinions. You have to go out and read all the official reviews from say Toms hardware and of course Anandtech. Then narrow down the few good boards by the features they all offer.

My opinion - Abit - they speaheaded the o/c craze and have the best features to support o/c, period. No, they don't on board multimedia junk, because they are o/c's motherboards, not OEM junk. (cough MSI cough)

ColdFlare

Aug 5, 2001
abit all the way, the kr7a is already doing pretty well, and its been out for about a week or 2

GRIFFIN1

Golden Member
Nov 10, 1999
Since I already had a hacked fasttrack 100, I just got the EPOX EP-8KHA+. It does a fine job of overclocking, and it takes the Alpha 8045 cooler like it was made for it. I was thinking about getting the ABIT, but it does cost about $70 more. If you aren't planning on using RAID, or if you have an add on RAID card, then it's hard to beat the EPOX.

Mine has only been running for about 24 hours, but I haven't had any problems with it. Unlocking the Tbird 1600+ was a different story. It took me about 2 hours (2 attempts) to finally get the L1 bridges connected using the rear window defogger. I haven't fully tested it, but it seems to be 100% stable at 1533 MHz, 1600 MHz almost worked. I'm sure I'll go for 1600 after it breaks in a little more. All my overclocking was with multipliers. I haven't tried bumping the FSB yet.

poiuy223

Dec 5, 2001
ummm...so far the abit can only reach a max of 150fsb...mayb a newer bios will change that problem...dont go with the asus...its a piece of shiet for overclocking...c'mon...dipswitches???...u gotta be kidding me...the board depends on if ur a casual or hardcore overclocker...epox 8kha+ and dragon plus r both good for casual...a little more hardcore...then abit (just gotta wait till they fix the fsb problem)...and if ur harder than hardcore...then get the epox...cuz over at vr-zone...with the beta bios and air cooling...the admin there hit a fsb of 221...now that is impressive...overall...epox is a very good board...but abit will be a little faster...and costs more...so it depends on u...

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I was reading about how well the Shuttle overclocks, and how stable it is and what a great value it has... and I think it's one of the best overall boards available. Overall I like the MSI's better, but they are both seemingly pretty good!

2 AMD boards I would not buy are Asus and EpoX (from experience AND reading)

I have an A7V133 which I dislike and would never buy again.. and I have a friend, and a company who say not to deal with EpoX due to very high RMA rates. - I have seen first hand that while some EpoX boards are OK, they're not as nice as MSI...

ToXiCRaGE

Aug 26, 2000
I gotta dissagree with u YIELD that ASUS boards are bad (or less good then MSIs) for AMDs. (you have u right to say you opinion which i respect) I'm just trying to argue a bit here ;)
Anyhow, from the reviews here on anandtech, asus and msi go head to head almost, i just favor asus more cuz i never had any other boards and im happy with asus..... MSIs are cheaper though and they are very good too (something we agree on haha). If i may compare the 2 companies to lets say SONY and PANASONIC (Sony being ASUS and Panasonic being MSI). Both great companies but u pay way more for SONY cuz they have to maintain their reputation... same goes for mobos. ASUS is a more prestigeous company - thats why u pay more for their products.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

<< 2 AMD boards I would not buy are Asus and EpoX (from experience AND reading)

I have an A7V133 which I dislike and would never buy again.. and I have a friend, and a company who say not to deal with EpoX due to very high RMA rates. - I have seen first hand that while some EpoX boards are OK, they're not as nice as MSI...
>>

I disagree I`ve both a MSI rig and Epox rig,for overclocking go with the Epox 8KHA+ it`s one great overclocker and rock stable board(yes I`ve one) now if you want to talk about RMA well ABIT are king in this department with the highest RMA rate of the top board brands.

:)