Best Monitor Type for Reduced Eye Strain

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I've been getting a lot of eye strain/dry eyes the past year or so with my 22" HP TN panel. I wear glasses, but not bifocals or reading glasses. This week I got a new ASUS PA248Q (IPS panel, LED-backlit) and noticed immediately that my eyes were much more comfortable viewing it than the old TN panel HP. It got me curious so I've been searching the subject and have found that some people claim IPS and MVA panels (especially LED) are better than TN and CCFL panels.

Does this sound true to you guys from your own experience? Am I doing about as well as I can with the ASUS IPS LED (as far as reduced eye strain goes)?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
lowering the brightness a bit helps too for some. Some monitors come out of the box with brightness jacked way too high IMO.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I went another way, and installed a fluorescent tube behind me screens. That way the background has the same light intensity as the foreground, and I reduce strain by contrast.

Can really recommend this, especially if you work in artificial lighting.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
You can also get an anti-reflective coating on prescription lenses. I did on my most recent pair and I have noticed a good deal of reduced eye strain.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
And the best prescription for computer work is (for most folks) 20-30 inches - called Middle Distance. I've been through the gamut - glaucoma since 1975, retina surgery in 2001, cataract surgery in 2007. I use all the help I can get. A more common ailment for me is just dry eyes. That gets fixed with Refresh drops as need.

Last edited:

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I was thinking about getting a pair of prescription "computer glasses". I think they magnify some (but not like reading glasses), but like you guys said, they come with an anti-reflective coating. I was going to send my 24" IPS monitor back and get a 27" 1080p (bigger fonts due to the larger pixel pitch), but I think the glasses might be a better (if more expensive) idea.