best MODERATE 3930k + P9x79pro overclocking options?

wgan

Apr 26, 2012
Hi guys as an absolute noob to overclock, I just want to stay away from all the hassles, and being not too greedy, a stable running around 4.2~4.3 will make me very happy, so I've got these options to overclock, what do you reckon,

1. flip the TPU switch, pro and cons?

2. use the ai suite, but I've head of some negative comments, basically it's the same thing as TPU but in a software way?

3. heading into bios doing the old school way which I'm totally not familiar with, but people keep saying thats the best way you can go with, but as I stated I dont really want the CPU running >4.6 as I need to look on the stability side

any suggestions, flipping TPU sounds good to me, what do you think?

thanks

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
You bought a high end setup just to get a "moderate" overclock??

Little children in Africa are crying.

If you don't hit 5ghz on that chip, I'm a come ober there and steal it.

wgan

Apr 26, 2012
You bought a high end setup just to get a "moderate" overclock??

Little children in Africa are crying.

If you don't hit 5ghz on that chip, I'm a come ober there and steal it.

I take that as a joke as you didn't give any informative suggestion,
serious though, I use it for freelance work(lots of threads involved) which mean stability is a main concern, on the other hand, of course I want to squeeze a bit more out of it, thats why I used the word 'moderate'.

ok, now any other suggestions?

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Depending on how good your cooling is you should find it possible to hit a comfortable 4.5 Ghz with 1.35 V's on the CPU core and nothing else different. You can potentially run with a vcore offset to hit the top target, but if its not stable just set the voltage to 1.35V.

The SB-E doesn't go quite as high as the SB normally but they pretty much all make 4.5.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
My 3930K needed 1.26v for 4.5Ghz. Start slow and just keep inching the multi and voltage up

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Not all CPUs reach 5ghz. Not all Mobo reach 5ghz. And without custom water you can't hit 5 ghz anyway. Without high end air or h100 I wouldn't recommend 4.4-4.6

With something like 212 plsu evo probably just 4 ghz. With mid end air probably 4.2 or so

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Not all CPUs reach 5ghz. Not all Mobo reach 5ghz. And without custom water you can't hit 5 ghz anyway. Without high end air or h100 I wouldn't recommend 4.4-4.6

With something like 212 plsu evo probably just 4 ghz. With mid end air probably 4.2 or so

Oh god, we got a cpu conservative here... :rolleyes:

nahh. you can push this to 4.8 oh air, everyone does it. ;)

I'm on air, running as hot as 70C in hot mid-day weather :biggrin:

You should try cooling the CPU phases, because if they get no airflow, they're gonna be screwed in the long term.

I know what you're thinking, since they're so close to the cpu cooler, the air must blow around there.

This is a fallacy as the air flowing overhead the vrm heatsinks actually create a pocket of stagnant hot air for the vrm.

as to overclocking, 4.5ghz shouldn't need much voltage over stock at all.

the trick is to configure your phases correctly.

phase duty , extreme
phase mode , asus optimized
LLC , high
phase frequency 350
phase spread spectrum enabled

Turn off EPU and TPU, make sure to flip the switch
Turn off C1E, C3, and C6

With those settings in place, find your stock Intel Burn test voltage.

Running IBT, on stock voltage any voltage setting, now watch the voltage as it reaches it's peak during peak calculations.

Write that down.

Now go to the voltage control and go to offset mode.
use minus sign
and put in 0.030

now run your IBT, and look at the peak voltage

Now make sure it is not more than 1.35-1.36v

reboot,

increase your multipliar to 4.5ghz

reboot, check stabability, check heat.

then, start increasing the offset number, which will lower the max voltage, until it's at the bare minimum that you need.

Last edited:

wgan

Apr 26, 2012
My 3930K needed 1.26v for 4.5Ghz. Start slow and just keep inching the multi and voltage up

thats very nice you can keep it <1.3 while having 4.5, I wish mine can be the same good, have you put it under heavy stress test like prime95 for long hours?