Best mobo for Intel i5-760?

stregalaw

Jul 29, 2010
Here's what I want my mobo to do:
1. OC'ing (and simple since I'm a first timer)
2. single video card (470, 460, or 5850 still haven't decided)
3. SSD and large HDD

There are so many mobo's out there. I would like some opinions from you guys.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 is what I recommend.
It has USB3 and SATA6 for future proof.
I use it inside my 3d HTPC rig with i5-760 cpu.
I'm very happy with it.

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
With one exception (see below*), I'm quite happy with my Gigabyte P55A-UD3P.

I'm also doing simple OC'ing, have a single video card, and one SDD and two HDDs.

I forget where I downloaded this, so cannot give due credit, but here's a feature comparison of the various Gigabyte P55 boards. The A in P55A means it has USB3.0 and SATA 3:

P55_comparison.jpg

The only reason I bought the -UD3P was I urgently needed a new mobo, and that was the only model available where I live. I would have preferred the -UD4, since I have no use for TPM, but do have use for FireWire.

*The "one exception": Gigabyte has yet to correct their botched BIOS which results in a random beep several times an hour, unless you turn off the CPU overheat monitor. I trust they *will* finally get around to it, but for now... (see this thread if you're bored and want more info: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2093181)

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
With one exception (see below*), I'm quite happy with my Gigabyte P55A-UD3P.

I'm also doing simple OC'ing, have a single video card, and one SDD and two HDDs.

I forget where I downloaded this, so cannot give due credit, but here's a feature comparison of the various Gigabyte P55 boards. The A in P55A means it has USB3.0 and SATA 3:

P55_comparison.jpg

The only reason I bought the -UD3P was I urgently needed a new mobo, and that was the only model available where I live. I would have preferred the -UD4, since I have no use for TPM, but do have use for FireWire.

*The "one exception": Gigabyte has yet to correct their botched BIOS which results in a random beep several times an hour, unless you turn off the CPU overheat monitor. I trust they *will* finally get around to it, but for now... (see this thread if you're bored and want more info: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2093181)

I concur.
F9 latest bios is not helping out either.
Have not checked the site support to see if it has been addressed.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
I was gonna say P55-USB3 as well, but that beeping issue is quite annoying. It's weird though, I have the regular UD3 (no sata3/usb3) and have never heard a beep chirp or whatever (yes, c-states/prochot enabled). I suggest you keep nagging GB customer support.

So I would say go with Asus P7P55D for good overclocking options. You probably wont miss usb3 or sata3 too much. You can always get an usb3 add-incard if need be.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I have the USB3 and that random beep used to bug me as well. You can disable it by turning off C3/C6/C7 save state in the bios. Whats funny is that by the time it took for me to find the answer to it, I got used to it and it no longer bugs me - its not that frequent. I prefer leaving the C3/C6/C7 save state on. I think it will be fixed in bios updates sooner or later.