"Best" media player for Windows?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Don't watch "pr0n" so I don't need to be able to rewatch the "good" bits over and over. If I turn on a movie I'll watch it start to finish. I hadn't heard of potplayer until I ran across this thread...I'll have to check it out. I'm by no means an "MPC-HC" evangelist...it's just what I use because it works for what I need, and I love that it can play everything I throw at it, and as someone else said, with better quality than VLC.

I understand. But if one was so only use programs that do what he wants (which is perfectly fine by the way) they would never come to know what they're missing since they haven't seen the better quality.

Download it and run a movie with it, and youll appreciate the smoothness and high quality of the videos.

You haven't heard of it before? Sure you haven't neither have I, but it has always been there, it was previously called KMPlayer which is a very popular player that plays everything made by a Korean Programmer. PotPlayer is just the renamed new version of KM Player. It has built in skins (which actually look good) and plays any file you throw at it out of the box.

Make sure to download the 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit OS

Removed link to your website

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
My HTPC is a Mac, So for 95% of my movie watching, I use MPlayerX. I find it's got better quality that VLC.

for years and still on laptops, I use MPC-HC for Windows. Its by far the best player I've used.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I understand. But if one was so only use programs that do what he wants (which is perfectly fine by the way) they would never come to know what they're missing since they haven't seen the better quality.

Download it and run a movie with it, and youll appreciate the smoothness and high quality of the videos.

You haven't heard of it before? Sure you haven't neither have I, but it has always been there, it was previously called KMPlayer which is a very popular player that plays everything made by a Korean Programmer. PotPlayer is just the renamed new version of KM Player. It has built in skins (which actually look good) and plays any file you throw at it out of the box.

PotPlayer FTW Download

I'll give it a try on my laptop (which sadly only is about 5% of my viewing, as stated above). I'm always interested in possibly better things, who isn't.

BTW, that screenshot is pretty useless without a comparison shot.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
BTW, that screenshot is pretty useless without a comparison shot.

Well it's ust a screen shot to show you what the program looks like not like it's a review or anything...

feel free to try it out for yourself

In order to stop PotPlayer from being displayed in the notification bar, simple press F5 to go to Preferences, then in the options, set "Tray Icon" to Do not show, then hit apply and ok!

atrus.eoa

May 4, 2010

PotPlayer FTW Download

Always like finding out about new software. So, thanks.

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
ROFLMAO!! What's a codec pack?? LOL

No seriously, this is so 2000. Nowadays the media players play everything out of the box :rolleyes:

F**k codec packs. I stayed away from them in 2000 and still do, they're nothing but trouble and often come with malware as a bonus.

joejoe666

Jan 20, 2011

PotPlayer FTW Download

^^ thanks didn't know there was a 64bit. Downloaded and installed. any advantage to switch from 32 to 64?

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
^^ thanks didn't know there was a 64bit. Downloaded and installed. any advantage to switch from 32 to 64?

Well it is very rare, only if you have a file that is more than 3.2 GB in size (usually high quality Blue Ray or DVD rips are above 3.2 GB)

Eitherway, All my software are 64-bit and I am glad that I finally found a good and 64-bit Player. MPC-64 Bit is teh $hizn!t I hate it! Not a player for pr0n lovers as it's very slow. This PotPlayer is a dream! :D

wseyller

May 16, 2004
actually I was looking for a new one a couple days ago. I have use vlc and also MPC for quite some time. I need something to could do two things really well. Play most video/movie files and also has a good library feature. I have a nas share with many video files within genre folders with lots of metadata, and thumbnails everywhere for use with my WDTV Live Streaming Media Player. It looks really messy the way WD organizes all that stuff.

I found that Winamp Pro (not the free version) has support for mkv files, H 264 codec, bla bla. Also it displays all my video file in a very neat fashion. I can do it by folders, or it can view by all files in one list. Search bar to find what ever I need and easily make playlist.

qft

Feb 22, 2012
Media Player Classic HomeCinema (HC) is what I typically use on my HTPC. Better video and less hardware stress than VLC in my experience.

mirandu04

Aug 29, 2011
when it comes to audio i use a russian software named AIMP 3;
videos i generally go with bsplayer

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
I must be the only person still using Winamp for music. Had to upgrade to 5.5 when I went to Windows 7, but it's pretty much the same as 2.7 was.

I still use Winamp for music and to organize my music. I see some online reviewers bashing it but it does everything I want and it never screws up and it's free.

I installed PotPlayer and the options seem pretty stark but it appears to work well. So far so good.

edit: Jeeze i just noticed this thread was from 2012....sorry guys for resurrecting it.