corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
VLC Media Player works for me.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
VLC, PotPlayer. Bummer to see MPC-HC throwing in the towel. I still use it as my #1 video player.

PeterRoss

May 31, 2017
The alternative of the same type? Doesn't exist :( It makes everyone very sad, but such is life, open sources projects either make it or break it. To be fair it lasted quite a while, as for an alternative, I just VLC nowadays.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
I think some people in the Doom9 forums volunteered to help with the development of MPC-HC when it was announced that it is officially dead. The github page looks like it has some recent commits as well. *fingers crossed*

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I think some people in the Doom9 forums volunteered to help with the development of MPC-HC when it was announced that it is officially dead. The github page looks like it has some recent commits as well. *fingers crossed*
yea its still going

MPC-BE
MPV
Potplayer

are all popular alternatives

PeterRoss

May 31, 2017
Interesting, haven't heard of MPC-BE, I will do more research on that topic, in the mean time, how does it differ from a standard version?

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
For one thing, it has a million internal filters, but you can disable them all and install LAV filters as external to match how MPC-HC handles things. The UI is different (better, IMO) but not that much. More options to choose from, which can be a good or a bad thing--defaults are good, though. Also, the built-in audio processor is less buggy than MPC-HC's (although both use Sanear code).

Best of all, there are more developers to support future improvements.