Best media device to play or stream Mkv Files

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Looking to get a media player that can either play mkv files by just plugging them into the device or streaming them to my HDTV. I saw the Boxee but that is a bit too much I'm looking for something around $100-120 or so...

Thanks

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Looking to get a media player that can either play mkv files by just plugging them into the device or streaming them to my HDTV. I saw the Boxee but that is a bit too much I'm looking for something around $100-120 or so...

Thanks

WD TV Live Plus is what I have and it's awesome. I supply my content via a NAS server.

Last edited:

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
htpc to nas. i run 4% on all 4 cores and 4-8% on the geforce 220 with a 25megabit/sec rip of avatar (i hate discs kids scratch them). so when they have those 1TB blu-ray discs i'll be godo to go. you'll be buying a 2nd wd live plus V2 or V3 to handle the newer higher rate media.

Look at google tv. a htpc - but lame. but it costs more than a craigslist refurb special or ebay asus essentio special. and everyone's banning those devices. htpc is good to go.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
A great low cost option is the eGreat M34A. It's interface is a bit ugly, but it plays just about anything you can throw at it without problem.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
htpc to nas. i run 4% on all 4 cores and 4-8% on the geforce 220 with a 25megabit/sec rip of avatar (i hate discs kids scratch them). so when they have those 1TB blu-ray discs i'll be godo to go. you'll be buying a 2nd wd live plus V2 or V3 to handle the newer higher rate media.

Look at google tv. a htpc - but lame. but it costs more than a craigslist refurb special or ebay asus essentio special. and everyone's banning those devices. htpc is good to go.

Not to complain too much but your write up is really hard to understand, especially with the lack of punctuation.