Best man in 2 months

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
I've known the couple for 4-5 years now. Wouldn't say I am a master at speaking in public but I would say I'm moderately comfortable about doing it (I say that now :D). Anyway, never had to give the toast before and the past 2-3 that I've been in attendance for have been... not so smooth. Just wondering if you have any tips from your experience in either speaking or good ones you've heard.

Thanks!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Google some speeches and get an idea on template and substitute your stuff in there.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: TheKub
I've known the couple for 4-5 years now. Wouldn't say I am a master at speaking in public but I would say I'm moderately comfortable about doing it (I say that now :D). Anyway, never had to give the toast before and the past 2-3 that I've been in attendance for have been... not so smooth. Just wondering if you have any tips from your experience in either speaking or good ones you've heard.

Thanks!

For my brother's first wedding, I wrote a funny, rhyming speech - I had them rolling in the aisles with tears in their eyes. They got divorced a few years later.

For his second wedding, I winged it and, though it was heartfelt, it was not that memorable. They are still married with two kids.

YMMV.

(Also, watch the first Best Man speech in Four Weddings and a Funeral. ;) )

MotionMan

L

Lola

Don't wing it ;)
Be sincere, don't try to be too funny, don't offend anyone, err of the side of sentiment.
Talk about the couple more than your relationship with them. Keep it short, sweet and simple.
End with a thoughtful comment. That is what everyone will remember...the last two sentences.

EDIT to say... don't write the entire speech word for word. write notes and phrases. That way, you will not be looking at a note card or paper the whole time.

Relax, breathe and smile!

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
It is always nice to have a good story; funny, sincere or otherwise of the groom. You should also complement the bride on how beautiful she is or how she makes him a better person etc etc...

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
"When my brother Harrold asked me to be the best man at his wedding, I was like of course man. You've always been ther for me, like when I was in rehab, and like the time I couldn't find my car. Cause Harrold has always been the dependable one, and I've always been the screwed up one. Right dad? Why can't you be more like your brother? Harrold would never beat up his landlord. But uh, newsflash pop, Harrold ain't so perfect. Remember that time in Puero Rico when we picked up those two uh, well I guess they were prostitutes but I don't remember paying."

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
Don't wing it ;)
Be sincere, don't try to be too funny, don't offend anyone, err of the side of sentiment.
Talk about the couple more than your relationship with them. Keep it short, sweet and simple.
End with a thoughtful comment. That is what everyone will remember...the last two sentences.

EDIT to say... don't write the entire speech word for word. write notes and phrases. That way, you will not be looking at a note card or paper the whole time.

Worst advice ever!!!

Dude, roast the groom, the bride, the bride's family, your family, everyone in the room! You'll be a legend! :p

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Keep it short, positive, and forward looking. Jokes are okay but keep them sweet and don't drop inside jokes that family won't get.

Stiganator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2001
True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Don't wing it ;)

Worst advice ever!!!

Dude, roast the groom, the bride, the bride's family, your family, everyone in the room! You'll be a legend! :p

The correct answer. This. :thumbsup:

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Don't wing it ;)

Worst advice ever!!!

The correct answer. This. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
(1) Know what you'll be saying in advance & practice a lot ... preferably in front of a small live audience.

(2) Keep it short & stay away from anything potentially insulting.

(3) Perhaps most importantly, don't drink beforehand! (even if you ignore the rest of my advice be sure to take this part!)

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
What ideas could you possibly need in regards to toast? Don't burn it and maybe put some cheese on it.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Captante
(1) Know what you'll be saying in advance & practice a lot ... preferably in front of a small live audience.

(3) Perhaps most importantly, don't drink beforehand! (even if you ignore the rest of my advice be sure to take this part!)

Drinking makes your speech better, don't listen to this man.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: skace
Originally posted by: Captante

Drinking makes your speech better, don't listen to this man.

and whatever you do, do NOT mention the part about you and the bride in the john the night before. That might have a negative impact on the whole wedding thing. :eek:

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Just remember, this is THEIR DAY, not yours.
It should be completely about them, and maybe a very short intro about your relationship with the groom.

If you don't know much about the bride, learn a little beforehand.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: edro
Just remember, this is THEIR DAY, not yours.

Hey look it's the moral authority. If it was their day they'd be making the speeches.

You're the BEST man. Put the title to good use.

rainman748

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2004
Having done this 3 times, I can offer a little advice.

1. Keep it fairly short - Nobody wants to hear a 10 minute, or longer, speech.

2. Stay sober until your speech, get shitfaced afterwards.

3. Thank the bride's parents (if that is who's paying) on behalf of everyone for the meal/reception.

4. Say something nice and appreciative about the bridesmaids and maid of honor.

5. Start with the funny stuff and end with the sincere/sappy stuff.

6. Don't be afraid to get a little raunchy, just not too raunchy. Don't talk about the time he got crabs from a stripper.

Thats all I got for now, hope it helps.