Best M/B for non gaming system

iknowalittle

Feb 11, 2017
Hi all

I posted a short while ago about what’s the best cpu (i5 or i7) for my soon to be orderd non-gaming system and your replies were great.

Now I would like your advice on which motherboard would suffice.

As I said it’s for a non-gaming system so would an something like a ASUS Prime Z270-P or ASUS® ROG STRIX Z270E be total overkill although I would like to try and future proof my system within reason.

Or would a lower/mid grade M/B such as an ASUS® H110M-R be plenty ample for my needs ie photoshop/multiple firefox tabs/word and excel open all at the same time.

To be frank I am not very knowledgeable re all the modern chip sets such as Z170/ H170/ H110/ Z270 etc and the more I read into on goggle…the move I have confused myself.

All replies much appreciated.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
IMO, just wait for ~15 days.
With Ryzen around the corner, you could be getting the same system you are looking at now for cheaper.

A motherboard won't really have any effect on your stated needs really, it is all about the CPU choice, and how much RAM you have in the system that will play a role in what you stated.

iknowalittle

Feb 11, 2017
Elixer Thank you for the info about Ryzen I was not aware of that.

I’ve decided on i5 and 8gb of ram, which should be more than enough for my needs.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If a motherboard has the ports and RAM slots you need and you are running at stock speed then a basic $100 motherboard will offer exactly the same performance as a $500 one.

The $500 motherboards offer extra ports, better sound chipsets or drivers, possibly more DIMM slots (vs. some 2-slot boards) and most importantly better power handling for overclocking. None of which applies to basic business use.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
That prime is not too expensive at $135. I would not spend more for that. I game but do not overclock so i see no need to pay > $130 for a motherboard and try to stay around $100. And if you buy a cheap one then you can buy a new motherboard down the road if you want to upgrade since you did not sink that much money into your motherboard the first time.

But that Prime has 2 M.2 ports for SSD's plus it is a new chipset so i would recommend it.