Best low light digital camera?

BehindEnemyLines

Jul 24, 2000
I have two cameras that take very good day light photos, but they can't even focus properly in a moderately lit room. I get exposure error if the flash is off. Its pretty fraustrating when the photos are so blurry or grainy. I could use flash, but it only makes people and everything else seem unnatural.

Is there a camera that's suited for low light or dim conditions that I can use for social events and mimics what the human eyes actually see (without using flash)?

It doesn't have to be ultraportable, pocketable is good enough preferrably without the lens protruding when off.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I think the desires you describe are one of the main reasons that people upgrade from P&S to DSLR camera. P&S digicams rarely if ever excel in low light.

bigal40

Sep 7, 2004
The Fuji F30 is supposed to be the best compact camera when it comes to low light.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: bigal40
The Fuji F30 is supposed to be the best compact camera when it comes to low light.

i'll vouch for this. just got the F31. very good in low light

Kristi2k

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2003
You need to either raise the ISO or lower the shutterspeed which requires very steady hand + IS and or tripod.

Krioni

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
I don't have it, but everything i've read points you to the Fuji F31 for low light pictures... it's the standard by which all other point and shoot cameras a judged.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
canon 7 with an f/.95 lens might work, as far as getting a lot of light in dim conditions. you'll have to match it with some ISO 1600 film. and it won't be small. or inexpensive.

although, a noctilux on an M8 is probably better. or an EF 50 f/1.0L USM. match it with a 1D Mk. III and you can take hand held pictures at EV 0! (ISO6400). or, if you're really cool, you can use a RAW converter to boost the ISO to 12800 and take hand held pictures at EV -1!

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Fuji f31 or f30 or f20 will do great

F31 - full manual controls with face detection
F30 - full manual controls / no face detection (not really needed anyhow)
F20 - Just as good as the f30 and f31 - but no direct control of shutter or apeture - you just use scene modes (like 'most people use point and shoots')

You can use the f30 or f31 as a p&s as well

Here is the deal. . .

The fuji uses a different sensor than most cameras that is designed for low light performance. You can go up to a usable ISO of 1600 in all three of these cams -with the f30 and f31 going up to 3200 (can be used for small snaps). . .

The larger the ISO the better pics it can take in low light IF and only IF it has a capable sensor. There are lots of cams that claim high ISO but they look like garbage at ISO 800 and ISO 1600 - there is where the fuji's win totally

Only the F Series of FUJIS and the S series do this - not the really cheap A series. . . The S series are superzooms like the s6000fd - which is like the f30/31 -but with a large zoom. . .

SO, if you want a small cam - the fuji is it.

Now the reason people are going on about dslr's is because they use a larger sensor with the lower cost dslr's using APS sized sensors and the expensive ones using a 'full frame' sensor.

Basically, the larger sensor = more dynamic range (color), and better low light (high ISO) performance. Pentax cams (imho) are the best 'cheap' DSLR's with high (iso 3200) performance. These include the k100d and k110d for low end (read 400-600 dollars with kit lens). . .

You can pick up a fuji f31d for about 230 dollars shipped on amazon right now. . . with a 30$ rebate from fuji available. . .

The fuji s6000fd is about 300 dollars shipped - but has a 50$ rebate available from fuji right now. . .

The f20 is the real steal in all of this - you can get it right now for 149. If you don't care about shutter and apeture you can just click away in low light. . .
http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm...&qid=1181450140&sr=8-1

Link to rebates.

http://www.fujifilmrebates.com...earch.aspx?categoryid=

You can find the cameras easily on amazon. . .

BehindEnemyLines

Jul 24, 2000
Thank you everyone for tips. I'll pick up the Fuji F20 since it's the most affordable, and I really don't need all those features of the F31. Those no-flash, low light sample shots at Amazon look amazing.