Best kit for no gaming

barryheadon

Oct 4, 2009
Hi,

My machine is used for photoshop (Currently CS3 but will be CS4 early nxt year), illustrator, Xara, Xara 3d and remote support. I run two monitors. I would like to think that this kit might be able to last a few years without the need to upgrade.
My budget is £1000
I will be buying from the UK
My last build was 5 years ago and I must be honest I've always preferred to use intel but have no other preferences for brands.
I have an HauppageTV card and a couple of 7200 ata discs which I would like to use but won't bother if it's not possible.
I have read other threads but so much is about gaming that I get a bit lost.
I don't intend to overclock
I would like to buy within the next month.

TIA for any advice.

barryheadon

Oct 4, 2009
Just been to scan and this is what I think I'm going to get. Just hope I haven't forgotten anything. It's all going in a Thermaltake Xaser Alum case
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
650w Be Quiet BN088 Straight Power
Intel Core i7 860
Asus P7P55D DELUXE
6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3, PC3-12800 (1600)
896MB XFX GTX 260 Black

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I wouldn't bother with the P7P55D Deluxe. For Photoshop and similar applications, just get whatever motherboard has enough SATA, PCI-E, and PCI slots for your devices. Something like the Gigabyte P55-UD3R should be plenty. The i7 860 is a nice choice.

8GB of memory is definitely a good idea for what you're doing. Just make sure you have a 64-bit operating system. However, there's no need to get Dominator or any other "high performance" memory. Go for something cheaper, say around $85 (~54 pounds) per 4 GB.

The GTX 260 is a gaming card. Photoshop doesn't need a ton of graphics horsepower, but I wouldn't completely cheap out either. Something along the lines of a 9600 GT, 9600 GSO, HD 4670, etc. should be plenty. I'm not familiar with Xara 3D, so if that DOES need a good graphics card (for rendering, for example) then disregard this comment. In that case, you may want to look into a workstation graphics card, though.

The 650w power supply is overkill, unless you want a lot of headroom for future upgrades... and by that, I mean gaming system upgrades. I'm not familiar with Be Quiet, but I'd suggest something along the lines of a 400-500w PSU from a good name brand, like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, or PC Power & Cooling. Some other brands like OCZ and Silverstone have both good and bad units; read professional reviews (like JonnyGuru.com) before buying.

Put the money you save into getting an Intel or Indilinx SSD.