Best IP based phone service? Vonage?

KingPhil

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2000
Ok, fed up with the local phone company. What is the best IP based phone company out there for the money?

Thanks everyone! Experiences / opinions...

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
Sunrocket can't be beat for the price. $17/month ($199 for the year)
others are more robust.. but they cost more.
Definately browse broadbandreports and make a decision. I've been mostly happy with Sunrocket. Considering it costs about a 1/3 of what I was paying its GREAT!!

PM me if you need a referal.

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Meractik
hope you have a cellphone for 911 emergencies.

Thats for sure. IP Phones are only so reliable.
I have the Enhanced 911 VOIP service which is SUPPOSED to route the calls to my local dispatch with my address.

but we also have 2 cell phones in house...

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Had I not already signed up and been mostly happy with vonage I would sign up for sunrocket.

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
anybody try lingo? a friend linked me to that one but not too many people use them. They are cheaper than vonage (from what I can see)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: tikwanleap
Went to sunrocket's website and it looks like it's down... :(

link

What exactly is down for you?

The website loads quickly for me, I even cleared my cache and refreshed.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Dont even bother with Vonage. I am currently with them, and while service has been fine for the past 6 months or so, I can't say the same about their tech support. It is non-existent. A week ago, all of my calls had static and the callers on the other end could hardly hear me. It went away, but nonetheless, tech support was nowhere to be found.

ttown

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2003
An extremely happy sunrocket customer here.... There's a huge thread on them in the hot-deals forum.

The E911 thing should work... but everyone should definately test it before they need it. And a cell phone is just added security -- since voip relies on 1)sunrocket, 2)their isp, 3)your isp, 4) "the internet cloud" in-between, 5) electricity

A failure in any one of those at the time of your emergency makes having a cell phone a pretty smart choice.

btw... the website was up when I checked a minute ago...

hx009

Nov 26, 1999
Originally posted by: lilcam
Dont even bother with Vonage. I am currently with them, and while service has been fine for the past 6 months or so, I can't say the same about their tech support. It is non-existent. A week ago, all of my calls had static and the callers on the other end could hardly hear me. It went away, but nonetheless, tech support was nowhere to be found.

Quoted for truth.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ttown
An extremely happy sunrocket customer here.... There's a huge thread on them in the hot-deals forum.

The E911 thing should work... but everyone should definately test it before they need it. And a cell phone is just added security -- since voip relies on 1)sunrocket, 2)their isp, 3)your isp, 4) "the internet cloud" in-between, 5) electricity

A failure in any one of those at the time of your emergency makes having a cell phone a pretty smart choice.

btw... the website was up when I checked a minute ago...

how would you test it? You can't call 911 just to test it, they won't be amused and may send someone to your house.