Best home theater speaker options for a condo building?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Basically, for music/movies, I want something that's either subwoofer-less, or somehow includes a sub that won't bother the downstairs neighbor--are there any decent options out there? Either a soundbar that can generate a decent amount of bass, or a good bookshelf speakers solution?

Basic requirements: can support multiple input sources (HTPC+satellite box), which are preferably digital sources

Range is around $300 or so.

Last edited:

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
You can have bass, but you just have to turn it down. So really, you won't be able to enjoy bass.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
It really depends on your neighbors, how the building is constructed, and whether you own it or rent. In the condo where I live almost everyone here has a sub, the floor is 8+ inches of concrete for each floor, and renters have less say than owners. I'm able to run a full 5.1 setup with decent 12" sub. It shakes the floor and walls but I've had no complaints, just be respectful and don't have it loud at night.

More importantly do you have a receiver or is that part of the budget?
Typically sound bars and mid-to-low end bookshelf speakers have little bass.

If you have a receiver something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...hBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16882269004 (Currently $180 on sale) and a small sub would work great.

If you don't have a receiver then something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...hBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16882269036 ($130 on sale) and a refurb receiver from accessories4less.com would work.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
I've found that even in a concrete floor building that bass will transfer rather well between adjacent units. I currently use bookshelfs (6" woofer) sitting high off the floor about a foot from the wall. Driven by 75WPC 1980's solid state "hi-fi" tuner type receiver. I split out the audio path at the television and control volume with that.

These haven't given my neighbors nearly the trouble that my wifes 5" subwoofer on hher computer speakers has. We have it firing into the concrete floor turned about 10% up. She can barely hear it but its how you gotta live in a condo/apt.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
Basically, for music/movies, I want something that's either subwoofer-less, or somehow includes a sub that won't bother the downstairs neighbor--are there any decent options out there? Either a soundbar that can generate a decent amount of bass, or a good bookshelf speakers solution?

Basic requirements: can support multiple input sources (HTPC+satellite box), which are preferably digital sources

Range is around $300 or so.

You can do it.
I've done it, I do have even softer, better bass than with sub before.

Only TV, video hooked all 5 speakers for sound.
Why 5 for 5.1?
I've 2 as a front - Polk Audio Monitor50 Series II, since there is no subwoofer, and receiver setup has on option: "No sub present", it gives another option(s): "Front speakers Large" and "Extra Bass"
I do have for bass - 4, 2 on each channel drivers, instead 1 on a sub and I'm getting better - softer and richer bass than I used to, when I had 5.1 - 4 small(2 front, 2 back) speakers and a subwoofer. And neighbor downstairs doesn't complain at all, if I make a little louder - sound is softer than used to be with a sub.
And before I had a sub that was downfiring, so, I had to lift from the floor even if was not that loud at all.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2214364&page=2

Don't know, how it would work with bookshelf speakers, but, I think, you could get good bass from bookshelf speakers too.
I was given years ago JBL 2600 bookshelf speakers that I had to replace woofers on both. I did order Daytona woofers from parts express. After that, I had to reduce bass while listening stereo thru JBL 2600 with Daytona woofers replacement.