Best Gnome-based LiveCD?

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
I've been looking at livecds, but most of them seem to carry kde (Mepis, Kororaa, Kanotix, PCLinuxOS, etc). I want a gnome based livecd that will work with newer nvidia and ati cards without having to fix it at command line. That's why I can't use Ubuntu. Are their any good ones?

edit: They don't have to carry the nvidia and ati proprietary drivers, if they get paired up with vesa that's fine too. I just need it to be noob proof because I'm burning these for a friend.

P0ldy

Dec 13, 2004
If you just want to play with Gnome, try out the Koraraa XGL LiveCD. It's purdy.

If you're looking for an install, you're probably going to have to install it and then update the nvidia drivers, which is most likely the reason you're having issues if your card is REALLY new (outdated drivers).

If you wait for Ubuntu's next release (May?), you can try that livecd. It'll also ship with xorg 7.0...

Seeruk

Nov 16, 2003
Dapper seems fairly stable with xorg 7.0, cant for the life of me get XGL running without dying a horrible death, but then I am supposed to be concentrating on getting mythTV working with a Hauppage HVR1100 ... just thought it would be nice to do it with XGL :)

Anyway Koraraa is nice, but that installer wiped my partition table (and has been reported from others too) so make sure its on a different disk to anything valuable.

P0ldy

Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: SleepWalkerX
Yeah Kororaa! I thought it was KDE, but its Gnome! SWEET! I played around with it last night. XGL is awesome. :D
AFAIK the latest Kororaa release includes both Gnome and KDE. The first release *just* had Gnome.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004

I don't have the internet at the computer at school. Thanks, but I'm going to rag on and mock Ubuntu (just imagine how I pick on my Ubuntu zealot friend at school;)) until they fix this problem. Its just NOT acceptable that they still have this problem. Almost every other distribution I've tested currently does not have this problem, even other debian-based distros. I've been trying to raise some awareness by posting in threads, but I haven't quite filed a bug report yet (not sure how easy it would be to do this). I'd rather just stick with and support distros that work.

Originally posted by: P0ldy
AFAIK the latest Kororaa release includes both Gnome and KDE. The first release *just* had Gnome.

Yeah, that's sweet! I got to test out both KDE and Gnome. :D There has a be a thread started on Kororaa. Its just so awesome! :)