Best Ginger Beer for mixing?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I hit up a bunch of bars earlier in the year and ordered signature cocktails...found that many of them used ginger beer as mixers. They were mostly bourbon or rum drinks.

Tell me. What's your favorite ginger beer for this sort of thing. it seems I have limited options where I live. Fever Tree is probably my favorite. I actually had a few with inconsistent quality from some of the smaller companies and few have that peppery flavor. Am I missing out on some other good options?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I hit up a bunch of bars earlier in the year and ordered signature cocktails...found that many of them used ginger beer as mixers. They were mostly bourbon or rum drinks.

Tell me. What's your favorite ginger beer for this sort of thing. it seems I have limited options where I live. Fever Tree is probably my favorite. I actually had a few with inconsistent quality from some of the smaller companies and few have that peppery flavor. Am I missing out on some other good options?
are you looking for ginger beer with alcohol or without? I did try some Jamaican Ginger Beer soda and that was really strong.

I looked up some cocktails with ginger beer and I wouldn't mind trying a Dark & Stormy.

:)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
are you looking for ginger beer with alcohol or without? I did try some Jamaican Ginger Beer soda and that was really strong.

I looked up some cocktails with ginger beer and I wouldn't mind trying a Dark & Stormy.

:)
I only want non-alcoholic ginger beer.

I made a dark and stormy this afternoon. There are quite a few bourbon breeze recipes too that are pretty good. I think the key to a dark and stormy is starting with the right dark rum. I'm not sure Bacardi Black is the best choice.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

I made a dark and stormy this afternoon. There are quite a few bourbon breeze recipes too that are pretty good. I think the key to a dark and stormy is starting with the right dark rum. I'm not sure Bacardi Black is the best choice.
I usually buy good rum even for mixing like Mount Gay Extra Old. That is top-shelf rum.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Pussers Rum has become my standard. Great straight, and cheap enough to mix. I was on a rum kick for awhile, but got a little disenchanted with the offerings. There isn't much regulation regarding what rum can be made from. Added sugar, added flavor... It's all fair game as long as it was distilled from sugar. I like the purity of whisky, and the skill it takes to make it taste good. Pussers, if they're being truthful, is simply distilled and aged. The flavor comes from skilled care. I appreciate that.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Fever Tree's Ginger Beer has been my go-to for Moscow Mules. I want to try some other recipes but a good Moscow Mule is so tasty. Trick for me is they thankfully have a light version, half (or less) the sugar of the standard ginger beer.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Goslings Black Seal Rum & Barrit's Ginger Beer is the classic Dark & Stormy recipe - dont forget the lime.

Barrit's has been around for more than one hundred years. Its the all time classic.

Reactions: SphinxnihpS

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015

It's funny. I was just sitting here thinking I should make a Dark and Stormy when I read this. It hard for me to find the same ginger beer twice so l usually end up with something different every time. Last time I chose a local brewery with what seemed like the most environmentally friendly 6-pack holder. It's called Kure's Ginger beer and is made in Loveland, CO. It's pretty good. I don't like beer that is too sweet or too much like biting into a pepper corn. I just mixed some with Plantation Original Dark rum. Don't have a lime. My wife is using all my whiskey glasses for a science project so I grabbed an old 2001 Lord of the Rings glass I found in the back of the cabinet. It would light up Frodo's face if the batteries were still good.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Goslings Black Seal Rum & Barrit's Ginger Beer is the classic Dark & Stormy recipe - dont forget the lime.

Barrit's has been around for more than one hundred years. Its the all time classic.
There's another variation that has cloves, star anise, and simple syrup/lime zest. I may play around with this if I can find a good rum supplier.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This is a bit of a sidetrack, but, for those who are 21+ who want to try an interesting Ginger Adult beverage. "The Kings Ginger" is quite good.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

Fever Tree is pretty good, another common one is Q Ginger Beer. They are mostly known for their Q Tonic, but you can give their Ginger Beer a shot.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
Never mixed it with anything but I do like Reed's Ginger Beer. Should be fairly easy to find.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Never mixed it with anything but I do like Reed's Ginger Beer. Should be fairly easy to find.

Never heard of it, so that should help qualify that "easy to find" statement. ;)

Around my parts, the higher-rated ginger beers appear to be nonexistent. I've heard of others mentioned as a great buy if you can find it, but around here I have still found Fever Tree to have the best option. Which I strongly wish was not the case because Fever Tree is pricey as fuck for what it is.

Crotulus

Sep 2, 2008
Never heard of it, so that should help qualify that "easy to find" statement. ;)

Around my parts, the higher-rated ginger beers appear to be nonexistent. I've heard of others mentioned as a great buy if you can find it, but around here I have still found Fever Tree to have the best option. Which I strongly wish was not the case because Fever Tree is pricey as fuck for what it is.

I didn't expect that with how ubiquitous Reed's is around here in So Cal. I can't think of a grocery store around that doesn't carry it. I believe the company started out in Los Angeles but is now based out of Connecticut. They also bottle Virgil's Root Beer. Guessing you don't see that around either then.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I didn't expect that with how ubiquitous Reed's is around here in So Cal. I can't think of a grocery store around that doesn't carry it. I believe the company started out in Los Angeles but is now based out of Connecticut. They also bottle Virgil's Root Beer. Guessing you don't see that around either then.
Those are baseline "premium" drinks here. You can find it in a lot of places that want to have a premium item, but not a full selection. IOW, it starts there, and better stores will have more variety for premium goods. You won't find them in the cheapy stores.