"BEST" Gas Station??

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
The reason that I started this thread is because with high gas prices, I don't want to spend more money on Shell/Amoco gas station when I can get the same thing on smaller-name gas station.

Many people told me that Amoco is the "best" here (Indiana). So I buy gas from them most of the time. It's only recently that I'm starting to think: "How do you know Amoco really has the "best" gas??" Is there any scientific study that was done to prove this?

Thanks.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
As for &quot;Cheap&quot;, I keep seeing low prices at RaceTrac. Of course, Joy/SuperTest has always been known for &quot;cheap gas&quot;.

As for &quot;Best&quot;, I love Hess. You can get a Blimpie Sub, a Godfather's Pizza and pick up one of those neat Hess toy trucks with the working headlights! :)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I like chevron, texaco, exxon, shell, bp, amoco, etc. Any major brand works for me. Sunoco is the best gas. :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Who gives a crap...I'm a cheap bastard so I go to whoever is cheapest---gas crisis or no gas crisis.

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
As for the best i'll go with jonny, dont want to forget about the Krispie Kream donuts

goldboyd

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
i'm a mobil guy here. and only the good stuff. f' the price, ya gotta do it, so just swipe the speed pass, fill her up and jet without looking at the price.

Buddha Bart

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I've never been able to tell the slightest difference between big names, and my current favorite &quot;RaceWay&quot;. Raceway is about 8c/gallon cheaper, and I still get 30mpg. I suspect gas is a product where there is very very little variation.

bart

kantonburg

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Pick up an issue of Consumer Reports

Low and behold Exxon is #1 and I think Texaco was #2

I go with what is cheapest right now. About once in every 5 tanks I'll fill it with high octane just to give her some pep!

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
consumer reports just plain sucks...how can you believe a report that ranks one vcr better than another(different name brand) when they were BOTH manufactured by the SAME company and internally they are the same vcr?

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
kamiam is right. CR is the biggest joke.

They are like all of the review sites that base all of their opinions on a product on one sampling.

They're screwy, and besides, sometimes they test stuff with all of the wrong intentions in mind.

I just wish I could find that Consumer Reports parody I had that had them testing bicycles and one test was the &quot;gravity test&quot;. :) I loved that one.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
If you're really concerned about quality, don't buy BP gasoline. They pump their gasoline from the North Sea, which is supposed to be of poor quality. And, I believe they also dilute it with anti-freeze and other chemicals.

Other than that, all gasoline is supposed to be pretty much the same. I would imagine that even BP gasoline is on par with Middle Eastern and African gasoline after they refine it... But they still put anti-freeze in it though.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Sunoco is the best gasoline out there by far. Amoco was very good, but now that they are owned by BP, I am nervous. BP has a reputatiuon for selling low-quality fuel, as Cybersax noted. Mobil is also very good as well as Texaco. I try to stick with one of those better brands. Occasionaly, I will gas up at the local WaWa, which buys their gas on the open market, so it can be anything. But, it is always 10 cents cheaper than anything else.

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
CR is crap but I still like going to a nice, new, big name stations. The top companies usually have superior additives to keep your system clean. Plus the quality is usually more consistant. No name brands sometimes get their stuff from various refinaries that try to &quot;squeeze&quot; a few extra gallon out of each barrel. I also like newer stations because there are usually standards on maintainance of the infastructure.

My 2 cents. I'm probably overconcerned but when I put down big bucks for something that gets me to work and pays the bills, I'd rather be over cautious and pay a few extra cents.

Windogg

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< all gas is the same. go for cheapest. >>

You have to watch out for some of the cheaper fuels. If you track your gas mileage, you can see a drop of 2-3 MPG depending on the fuel that you use. I've been tracking mine since I purchased my car over the past two years. The fill-ups where I utilized &quot;cheaper&quot; fuel (i.e. - RaceTrac or similar), clearly stand out with a lower MPG. I utilize an 87 octane rating which is the recommended fuel for my vehicle. Only ensure that you use the recommended octane rating that is recommended for your vehicle by the manufacturer.

Since the recent merger of Exxon + Mobil = ExxonMobil, you have to really look to see who actually owns the station (i.e. - some stations have been sold to Tosco - who owns Circle K).

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
cheap gas stations have been known to add water, oil, or other crap to their gas. i like mobil and chevron with techron the best. :)

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
wje: hmmm, you just might be right. everytime i make the trip home i use the same generic cheapo gas station, and i get about 27 mpg. next time i make the trip i'll try using something name brand and see what happens. if nothing happens, well then screw it, i'll still go for cheapest.

SUOrangeman

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I don't know who's thier supplier, but Wawa will continue to get my money whenever I blow through Fredericksburg, VA. It was $1.42 all weekend, a good 20 cents less than what I get 30 or so miles up the road in NoVA.

RaceTrac doesn't offer pay-at-the-pump either, yuck. WHo carries cash anymore?

-SUO

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
WaWa is becoming a force in the gasoline business here in the PA/NJ area. A friend of mine owns a company that services gas pumps and all of the other computerized stuff that gas stations use. He was telling me that they are really expanding. They get my business on occasions when I am low on fuel and near one of their locations.

In my prevoious post, I neglected to mention two of the best brands of gasoline out there, Hess and Shell.