BEST gaming PC controllers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I have better control with the xbox one then the 360 one on my pc. I just picked up the wireless adapter fo the xbox one controller off gamestop for $25 shipped with coupon "saver", if it matters to anyone. I was using it wired, but I much prefer it to be wireless.

The thing I like it more over the 360 one is the less slack it has on the analog sticks, maybe because my 360 ones have more use on them, idk, but my xbone ones seem tighter and I seem to do much better as far as game play, and in my driving games with a xbone controller then I do with my 360 one. Also, I still love my NFS most wanted 2005 game, in which there is no dead zone adjustment in it, and with a 360 controller Im all over the place, and with a xbone controller, Im not, which makes the game fun to play on the pc.

Last edited:

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I have been swapping back and forth between the 360 and One versions periodically. They both have raised thumbsticks attached. Overall, I feel like the 360 controller has better bumpers, but the One is a bit more comfortable and has a better build. Both are so similar that it isn't a jarring experience to go back and forth between the two.

@Xellos2099
Glad to hear X1 version works on older Windows. That definitely improves its value in my book.

@Funboy6942
That is very interesting thanks for the info. I wonder if fps games with no aim assist would be easier to aim with the One controller vs the 360 one. I can't find much of a difference in the games I play.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
The 360 wired controller is a solid option.

A friend of mine picked up a Steam controller a few months ago and I got to give it a try...heard about it but had no expectations, really. Within 20 minutes I had a workable approach to play Talos Principle and was pretty impressed with the precision I could get out of the trackpad. With some experimentation on the finer settings I'm pretty sure I could make it work very well with FPS games. It has my interest in spite of already having a 360 controller.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I got used to the Steam controller, takes some adjusting but I really like it now and like being able to play whatever game without swapping to another peripheral. I just wish there was a way to bring up the onscreen keyboard with it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Been using an Afterglow wired 360 controller and the only issue I ran into was trying to connect two of them to the same PC. I had to manually move drivers around and that was a pain in the ass, but it worked out great in the end.

I've seen a lot of topics on the Steam discussions from various people on various games claiming the wireless adapters for their controllers randomly cut out or if the batteries die, the controller won't reconnect after new ones are put in. For a no hassle experience, a wired 360 controller is the best option since it's literally just plug and play.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Never experienced those problems myself with an Xbox One controller and wireless adapter. Worst we had was a bad USB port that the adapter was plugged in to.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I use a wireless Xbox 360 controller with a wireless receiver. Works fine except the force feedback in some games does not work correctly. I've got three Xbox 360 controllers, since they are now worth more than the Xbox 360, I'm going to run them into the dirt.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
If there are controller specific prompts and layout on the PC they will be for one of the the xbox controllers. That alone is reason to stick with them. Plus they are pretty solid pieces of kit. I have the wireless 360 controller on my PC and its been in use since 2005 at launch.

Pseudoics

May 24, 2012
Big couch PC gamer here. For years I've used the 360, Razor Onza & Sabertooth, the Xbox One controller and recently the Elite. I find the Xbone controller the most comfortable and with the best thumbsticks, but it lacked the extra buttons the Razor controllers had which IMO are incredibly useful in all sorts of games. Any game that benefits from keeping both thumbs on the sticks is an advantage over not, but even something simple like being able to look around as you're running in The Witcher 3 feels so natural using them.

Anyway, both my Razors didn't last more than 18 months without fatal button/stick issues, and they were wired. The 360 controllers are still going just fine in comparison. With the Elite controller however, it's the best of everything (wireless or wired/extra buttons/customisable hardware and software layout) and on another level of quality feel (longevity is to be seen). It took some adjusting and I only use the top two back paddles, but I'm extremely happy with it. By far the best I've used.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
If there are controller specific prompts and layout on the PC they will be for one of the the xbox controllers. That alone is reason to stick with them.

Exactly. The Steam controller copied the 360 buttons for a reason. It was already a De Facto Standard. The Xbone controller has the same button layout with a better D-Pad.

Part of my bias for the Xbone controller is due to perception actually. When my friends came over (especially the ones with PS4s who wanted me to get one too instead of a stupid PC) they loved making jokes that my Steambox was basically a 360 because of the controller I used with it. Now that I have a Xbone controller I call my gaming machine "Basically a Xbox One with a bigger penis" and they don't argue. In fact that little perception difference alone helped convert two back to PC gaming, I built them (Windows-based) Steamboxes last month.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I use KB/Mouse, but fiancee likes the Logitech knock-off 360 controller I got her. Seems like 360 is more or less favored the highest amont most people, but best if you have a chance to try a few out and see for yourself what fits your hand the best or feels the most natural.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
vrU6Kmu.jpg

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Any game that is DX will have default support for Xbox One / Xbox 360 controllers. They are well supported and don't require any app to map buttons. The only downside is needing to buy a wireless adapter (that works great, but isn't free).

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
XBOX 360 Controller seems perfect and is all I use for games where I want a controller. I guess the XBONE might have different ergonomics ? Button layout is mostly the same I thought ?

Doesn't seem worth switching when the 360 controller works so well.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
XBOX 360 Controller seems perfect and is all I use for games where I want a controller. I guess the XBONE might have different ergonomics ? .

The advantage of the Xbone controller is a much much much much better D pad. Helps if you play any older games.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
What do your recommend for someone starting from scratch (no console/controller experience whatsoever since NES, only K/M) and with hands on the smaller side?

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Going to a store and trying a couple out.

With that said, the One controller is a bit smaller than the 360 controller.

You'll find the recommendations don't change, regardless of your "situation." An XInput controller, whatever works for you, is the way to go.