Best gaming monitor for ~350$?

Discussion in 'Peripherals' started by Dorito33, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Dorito33

Dorito33 Member

I've been searching for many days now, and it seems like I'm lost in the jungle.

My last monitor was a acer AL2223W and it was pretty awesome, but one day a few months ago it just turned white.

Now I'm looking for a monitor from 22-27" with a high refresh rate because my PC is pretty strong and I'd like to make the most of it in terms of frame rate, picture quality, and no ghosting. Where should I look? Thanks Anandtech.

2. gandhi1

gandhi1 Junior Member

At that price point, it really comes down to two different options.

You could get one of the 27" 1440p Korean moniters off ebay (see here.) Or you can get a 1080p TN panel that has a 120hz refresh rate like the BenQ XL2420T.

Basically your choice is between higher resolution or higher refresh rate. Different people have different preferences.

3. kbp

kbp Senior member

Asus PB278Q
    But a bit more than $350

4. Karstein

Karstein Senior member

I've had a BenQ XL2420T for about half a year, it's been great thus far. Switched from a 2233rz and was a little pensive about doing so, but it's definitely been a change for the better.

5. Puffnstuff

Puffnstuff Diamond Member

I would recommend that you check out the offerings at dell. They've got the best warranty for lcd's hands down.

6. xit2nowhere

xit2nowhere Senior member

For regular non-fps games I would highly recommend Dell Ultrasharp U2412M. I've never tried this monitor with FPS games, but people say it's good.

7. Puffnstuff

Puffnstuff Diamond Member

I'm running a dell ultrasharp 2709w pva panel but my son has the 23" ultrasharp with ips panel and games are excellent on both. It's been 10 years since I had a lcd panel that ghosted during gaming.

8. dragantoe

dragantoe Senior member

yamakasi catleap, or achevia shimian. No contest

9. vmarkx3

vmarkx3 Member

10. dragantoe

dragantoe Senior member

11. jorel

jorel Junior Member

IPS panels are not necessarily the best. Perhaps they are for general purposes, but as far as gaming in concerned, TN panels often take the spot due to their sheer ability to produce optimal response times and refresh rates. As for the choice of a great gaming monitor, the BenQ XL2420T take the top spot. Yes, it's a TN panel so the color reproduction might not be as impressive as say a Dell U2412M but you won't really notice it unless you compare them side by side. On the other hand, the BenQ does have a tremendous response time of 2ms and with its 120hz refresh rate, it's really hard to find any other gaming monitors that can do the same at a price of $330 or so (after discount that is).

#11 jorel, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  12. pandemonium

pandemonium Golden Member

Whatever you do, don't go by the product information from that company or on the site. Use reviews for accurate comparisons. Each company has their own standards for GTG, response times, Contrast ratios, etc., and those numbers are meaningless when comparing to another brand.

TFTCentral is a good place to start for baseline comparisons.