Best games of all time that you always keep coming back to?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Not today but back when I was more easily impressed I made MANY run throughs of Deus Ex, Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, TIE Fighter, and Doom.

These days I keep playing Age Of Mythology and I dont even know why. Its only a decent game, not great. But its addictive. Same with Act Of War and all 4 Dawn of War games.
Also I've run thru Far Cry 4 many times. Its just enjoyable enough to keep going, hours at a time. Find new goodies, kill more bad guys, take more camps, and do it all over again.

And Kerbal Space program. I frequently complete one short mission every time I load it up. Longer missions are exhausting so I usually need a couple sessions to beat them.

And of course I've spent WAY too much time in all of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. Even though I've got loads of complaints about Skyrim I'm pretty sure I've logged more time on it than Oblivion and Morrowind combined.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Usually games with RPG or research tree elements where you will have vastly different experiences. In recent years I’ve even tried to save games at points where those branches become fairly obvious. The ones I thought had the best variation were:

System Shock 2
Baldur’s Gate
KOTOR
Deus Ex
Planescape: Torment
Oblivion - I actually abandoned the main quest and decided to be a vampire
South Park the Stick of Truth

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
After being hugely disappointed in Baldurs Gate III and unsuccessfully trying again to get into Pillars of Eternity I decided it was time for another run through the Pools series of TSR gold box games.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got into Pillars of Eternity after the third attempt. Its not simple and intuitive and jumping in can be tough.

I also didnt get into Baldurs Gate or Deus Ex the first time. I had to go back repeatedly until my mind was in the right place. Then I loved them.

And Test Drive Unlimited.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Discounting online games here .. I’ve played the OG Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon trilogies quite a few times and still play through them occasionally. Every once in a while I play through the old school Pokémon games, though haven’t in a while. Nothing else really sticks out.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
played shadowrun a few times over on snes and sega. need for speed most wanted pc / old version and new version . carmegedon (run over zombies in a lambo looking car) I disapprove of most all of your lists, you have time to waste playing old unfun games :p

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
After being hugely disappointed in Baldurs Gate III and unsuccessfully trying again to get into Pillars of Eternity I decided it was time for another run through the Pools series of TSR gold box games.

Pool of Radiance was my first. You always remember your first.

How are you playing those games?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I loved Ravenloft Stone Prophet when it was new. Tried going back recently (on one of those DOS emulation websites) and couldn't get in to it. Also, at the time I had a wavetable card and the game sounded awesome.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
7 days to die
Rimworld
Dota

i seem to always fall on those 3 when i have nothing left to play.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Usually games with RPG or research tree elements where you will have vastly different experiences. In recent years I’ve even tried to save games at points where those branches become fairly obvious. The ones I thought had the best variation were:

System Shock 2
Baldur’s Gate
KOTOR
Deus Ex
Planescape: Torment
Oblivion - I actually abandoned the main quest and decided to be a vampire
South Park the Stick of Truth

I find that SS2 and PST, even though they are fantastic games, are basically designed to be played with a specific type of skill build and equipment, and don't work well otherwise. Deus Ex and KOTOR 1/2 can play quite differently depending on how you choose to go about it.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I find that SS2 and PST, even though they are fantastic games, are basically designed to be played with a specific type of skill build and equipment, and don't work well otherwise. Deus Ex and KOTOR 1/2 can play quite differently depending on how you choose to go about it.

- My experience as well. SS2 (while an incredible game and forefather of essentially all "shocklike" games) has some major balance issues and some of the weapon/Psy limitations really crimp alternate play styles (Energy weapons barely hurt organics/Assault rifle is effective against everything thanks to alternate ammo types/Plenty of Psy Powers just offer a convoluted method of killing enemies that filling an enemy with lead would accomplish much more easily).

PST can be a little more forgiving thanks to the fact that you technically cannot die, but the game gets much more straightforward if you go all in on a strength/fighter build. Basically a walking sim with an interesting story and characters at that point.

I tend to prefer modern games that take a more restricted and defined approach to play styles (Rambo or Stealth, AKA Dishonored or the new DX games) or games that are purely skill based that make every approach a viable one (Wolfenstein TNO/TOB, stealth until you get caught, then Rambo) over games that pretend to give you multiple viable options only for the player to discover that the game was designed around one playstyle and the others exist only as a compliment not a replacement.

Reactions: CP5670

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The annoying thing about PST is the game is easier to play as a fighter, but you need wisdom and intelligence (mage attributes) to get the most out of the story, which is the strong point of the game and not the combat. For SS2, I agree that a standard weapons build is the way to go. Most of the other weapons are useless (except the grenade launcher) and the few good psi powers cost too much on higher difficulties. The newer Prey seems more open to different types of builds, but I have only played through it once.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I didn't read the whole thread but has anyone said the Civilization series?
That's the most crack-like game every produced.

and while I haven't played it in a while now, TF2 is always gold. I'm just too old and slow now.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Most of the games I play are from the 16-bit era. I occasionally play a few modern titles with RDR 2 being the latest but I only play a little bit at a time so I'm not really getting anywhere.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
What are your favourite games so far that you keep coming back to? The old ones or the new ones? Just simply curious to see what are the gaming experiences are and what are the main titles that left the biggest impression.

Kerbal Space Program
Titan Quest
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Elder Scrolls Online
Prey
Dragon Age Inquisition
Civilization

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I enjoy replaying the Dishonored series. The gameplay is very good and I like not being rushed. Swordplay is kind of lame but I tend toward stealth mode anyway.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
.. i wish i had a playstation .. and friends. So i could play Tekken again.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Dragon Age Inquisition

- While I found DA:I to be a real drag and the weakest entry in the entire series, I do find myself coming back to its character creator over and over again. No body options, but an absolutely killer face editor in that game.

I was shocked when ME:A followed up that character editor with such a scaled back piece of crap.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
- While I found DA:I to be a real drag and the weakest entry in the entire series, I do find myself coming back to its character creator over and over again. No body options, but an absolutely killer face editor in that game.

I was shocked when ME:A followed up that character editor with such a scaled back piece of crap.

Character editors I don't care much about, but I've always been impressed on how good some the NPC's faces look in that game (Lelianna, Cassandra, Solas) even now six years later.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
That game still looks quite good, and is an example of how game graphics haven't improved all that much over the last 6-7 years. I played all the DA games for the first time last year. It does have a lot a filler and is more drawn out than it should be, although I still liked it much better than Mass Effect Andromeda.