Best fridge for under $100

cruiser1338

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
So I'm about to go back to school and my new roommate is going to get the TV which leaves me in charge of the fridge. I don't have a clue what to get, I wasn't planning on getting one actually but whatever. I need a dorm size fridge for as cheap as I can go. I've got $100 but I really don't want to spend that much if possible. Walmart had a few options, but they were only 1.7cu, and I don't have a clue what that means.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer to be able to go to a shop to pick it up. Shipping would be hell on a fridge. I live in MA.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
There are usually loads of people trying to sell fridges at the beginning/end of semester.

That's how we picked up bar fridges, and sold them for a 50% profit at the end of uni ;)

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
1.7 cu ft is one of those 18" cube fridges that, if you're lucky, has a freezer that holds 1 small ice cube tray. If you have the room, you might want this or something like it. It holds much more.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Try a pawn shop or goodwill or something like that. They have good used fridges for cheap usually.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Get a 4 cu ft. I've seen them for $100 at Costco and Target. For less than that, you'll probably have to buy used.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
just read your college policy on compact refrigerators because my college, RIT, only allows up to 4.3 cubic feet.

i bought mine at bestbuy years ago (roughly four years ago.)

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: allisolm
1.7 cu ft is one of those 18" cube fridges that, if you're lucky, has a freezer that holds 1 small ice cube tray. If you have the room, you might want this or something like it. It holds much more.
This is good advice. Those little cube fridges are nice, but stuff like milk won't last as long in them because they're so small. The larger fridge is a better idea for a dorm room.

Just make sure you're allowed to have a fridge that size. They were borderline not-allowed at my school. Fridges weren't allowed over a certain size (and those bigger fridges were over he limit) but people sort of looked the other way and didn't say anything about it.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Ah the dorm fridge. I remember we had actual food in it for like.. a month. Then it was just an excessively small beer fridge.

Actually, my dorm fridge now sits in my apartment, a full 3 years after college, acting as a ghetto night stand.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
if it has to satisfy 2 people I'd say at least the 3.3...4.3 if they allow it. 1.7 as others have said isnt enough. Its barely able to handle a 6 pack + leftovers. And its nice to have some sort of freezer for the vodka/tequila/etc.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
colleges are notorious for looking the other way with stuff like that.

that said, I'd totally check craigslist first. there's always a ton of people looking to get rid of stuff towards toe beginning/end of every semester.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Get a 4 cu ft. I've seen them for $100 at Costco and Target. For less than that, you'll probably have to buy used.

Exactly. Get the 4 Cu feet one from Costco that EVERYONE has in their dorms. It's totally worth it and I bet you there are a billion of those on sale from people not wanting them anymore. I think its 4.3 or 4.2 cu ft.

You think it's too big? Just wait till your roommates start stuffing stuff inside. Wait till you start putting those handles of vodka inside....

I still use it as a fridge in my apartment. We have a regular fridge. The freezer is overfilled because my roommate and I don't cook as much. The fridge fills up because I buy those romaine lettuce packs from Costco for my guinea pig. Throw in bread and some leftovers and eggs and a brita filter and drinks and you've got a full fridge.

Where does the alcohol go? In my second fridge of course! That's why I saved my Sanyo Costco fridge. It's amazingly useful. I plug it in the morning before the party starts and when everyone starts coming it's all cold already. Ice is ready by then and then bam. Kickass parties. It's also a way to tell people to GTFO of your main fridge so they don't look around and drink the stuff you drink regularly as chasers and what not.

As for restrictions in dorms.. yea they don't really care. It might be on paper you can't have it but they really turn a blind eye on those things. Microwaves were prohibited but that didn't stop like 3 or 4 of us on the floor to have one. It was much easier walking in next door and heating something up than runnign 3 flights of stairs to the lounge to use the microwave there.