Best forced AA through CCC?

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
In the Catalyst Control Center, there are four modes of anti-aliasing given: Box, Narrow Tent, Wide Tent, and Edge Detect. Which provides the best IQ? Also, for my setup, would it be better to force AA through the graphics card or force MLAA from the processor?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Stick to box or edge detect; I wouldn't use any of the others as they visibly blur the image. Also MLAA is done on the graphics card, not on the processor.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Oh. I thought the processor was used for MLAA. I've seen it referred to as a non-hardware accelerated process.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Oh. I thought the processor was used for MLAA. I've seen it referred to as a non-hardware accelerated process.
That's how it started, but with the advent of more advanced shaders it can be ported to the GPU.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Ok. So, which provides the better image quality and/or less of a performance hit: MLAA or MSAA?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
2x/4x MSAA is usually faster and looks better too. MLAA has a huge performance hit at higher resolutions and often intolerably blurs the image too. If you’ve got performance to burn then use SSAA instead of MLAA.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
MLAA should be a last resort saved for games that don't have built in AA or don't cooperate with MSAA, IMO.

When I tried MLAA with Bad Company 2, there was also a noticeable mouse/ input lag due to the extra processing filter. This doesn't really affect single player, but I wouldn't recommend it for fps multiplayers.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
2x/4x MSAA is usually faster and looks better too. MLAA has a huge performance hit at higher resolutions and often intolerably blurs the image too. If you’ve got performance to burn then use SSAA instead of MLAA.

Ok, thanks. The game I'm thinking of using AA in is Mass Effect 2. There's no support for AA in-game, so the aliasing can get pretty bad, even at 1080p.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Ok, thanks. The game I'm thinking of using AA in is Mass Effect 2. There's no support for AA in-game, so the aliasing can get pretty bad, even at 1080p.

I believe that is a game running on the Unreal engine.

In which case MLAA is your only option.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
MLAA can produce really good effect in some games, and not-so-good in others. I tested it in SC2 and got good results with little performance penalty, but I didn't like how it smoothed the fonts.

I believe MLAA has the lowest performance hit, but can produce smoothing similar to MSAAx4. But MSAA will selectively appy itself to geometric shapes, whereas MLAA will apply itself to everything based on differences in contrast. So MLAA is dumber in what it gets applied to, but that improves performance because it's not doing any difficult determinations on geometry etc. and instead merely looks for contrasting colors and smoothing those.

So MLAA will smooth everything, including fonts, which may be odd-looking in some games (Starcraft 2 fonts). However, I think MLAA works particularly well on mass effect games (not sure haven't tried it) where you see big jaggies on straight lines that can dominate a scene (window sill)?

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Hey look at that, it works!

Makes my GPU work very hard and I'm taking a pretty big performance hit. Maybe it's because I have film effect turned on and it's trying to apply AA to all those pixels.

Thanks Skurge.

Last edited: